Vintage Mustang Forums banner

water pump ? help please!

974 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  70sportsroof 
G
#1 ·
hey guys, I'm about to order a water pump for my 70 302 with 69 heads on it. My problem is, I have no clue whether I need an aluminum or cast iron water pump. I'm pretty sure they are not interchangeable but I have no idea which I need. Any advice would be appreciated as I have to compile a list of needed items by today. Thanks!!!

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

#2 ·
I have a 71 302 block that I put a Flowcooler aluminum pump
on. I'm not aware of interchange problems between cast
iron and aluminum. I'm sure someone will post a reply if
they have had problems.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256.jpg

#3 ·
With respect to OEM pumps, IIRC the aluminum pump was used on Hi-Po's and had no tin rear cover, the cast pump on other SBF with a tin rear cover. As far as the aftermarket goes, most are aluminum and designed to replace the OEM cast iron pumps.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

G
#4 ·
any comments about the flowkooler water pump? this is one i am looking at because in summit it is one of the less expensive and I dont want to go stock. Thanks

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

#5 ·
Take a peek at your timing cover...if it has a recess behind the pump mounting flange, say about 3/8" or so, it's designed for the early aluminum pump with the exposed impeller...in that cover, they'll be no seperators between the area where the impeller fits and the ports into the engine...

More than likely you have the later cover with the flat flange which uses the enclosed impeller cast iron pump....

When in doubt, a magnet can always tell you (on the water pump that is...)....*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G
#6 ·
Does it matter if I use aluminum rather than cast iron? In my Virginia classic mustang book it says they are not interchangeable but then i dont know if that only means the stock ones arent interchangeable. I was thinking about going with an aftermarket aluminum water pump like one from summit. Will this be a problem? I dont understand why VCM says no but summit has em listed for a 70 302 in aluminum. Please help camachinest! Thanks.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

#7 ·
I have a 70 Coupe - 302, 2v. It had a cast iron pump on it when it went bad and had Ford stamped in it. I replaced it with one from Autozone, and it was also cast iron. Hope this helps. I thought of checking around for a local rebuilder so I could maintain that Ford oval stamp, but then I thought, I need the pump now, and didn't want to loose my deposit.

Tom

#8 ·
In factory production, the aluminum pump is not interchangeable with the cast iron pump because of differences in the timing chain cover. In aftermarket parts, the aluminum water pumps are designed to replace the cast iron water pumps (Edelbrock, at least). The thing to watch for with the 70 is that the water outlet on the water pump is on the driver's side. If not, none of your accessory brackets will mount up. How do I know the latter? Cause I purchased an Edelbrock water pump with early style water outlet, passenger side outlet) and none of my brackets would bolt up and none of my pulleys lined up. After futzing about it for about a month, I gave up and purchased the correct Edelborck water pump. Yesterday I was able to bolt all the accessories right on with no problem. The advantage orf aluminum over cast iron is: weight, aluminum disapates heat more efficiently, most alumn. water pumps are rated as hi-flow, the better ones are made with different designed impellers in the pump so they flow more water and with less cavatation (bubbles) and also use better bearings so you can rev them up higher.

BTW, if anyone wants an early style Edelbrock Victor alumn. water pump painted in Ford blue, never been used, I am selling one cheap (grin).

good luck.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

#10 ·
Chris,
If you're going with an aftermarket aluminum pump, purchase the correct one for the engine in the car....IME, most aftermarket pumps are patterned after the later model, closed impeller, cast iron pump...

Others with current empirical experience will likely enlighten you further....I've only used the early factory aluminum pumps on my engines...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G
#11 ·
Also make sure that the pump is for the correct water flow direction too! Look at your pump and the new one, the flat metal plat should come off the new one quite easily with no gasket tear, and look at the pump veins on both pumps, make sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.