Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Milodon 16230 high volume aluminum water pump to replace my original cast iron unit. The packaging on the Milodon pump says to remove the backing plate. The cast iron pump HAS the backing plate installed. Shouldn't I be replacing "an orange with an orange" so to speak? A little installation advice please.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe (mine)
95' XLT Ranger (mine)
01' GLX 1.8T New Beetle (hers)

G

·
Hi. I'm new to the list and have a question already. I have a 69 390 that had a Delco alternator in it. I replaced it with a 55 amp Ford one, but I'm not sure about the wiring. Can someone explain where the wires go from the voltage regulator to the alternator, and what color each wire is. I believe there are four wires that go to the alternator. Thanks Bill

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
When you want to start a new topic, go to the main page and click on post. This will start a new topic on your subject. You will not get nearly the response by replying to someone else's post with a new topic. Try re-posting your topic on the main page and you will get the best response on the web.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571514&a=11942607&p=42928766.jpg

G

·
I believe I ran across info on this on HoosierBuddy's (Phil) website.
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm
check out his mopower project and I think he talks about differences in waterpumps and years of 289

TJ
Highland Village, TX (DFW area)

66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

G

·
i know that k-code and early 65 289's don't have backing plates. you probably were given the wrong part. i would call their tech line as i did when i bought an edelbrock pump.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree that you have the wrong part. There's no way it will seal without the backing plate if you have the timing cover that requires one. Look at the bottom of the pump mating area on the timing chain cover. If there's a little "notch" in it you MUST use a backing plate or you'll have water dumping out that notch.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about the notch! Sure enough, my timing plate cover has it...therefor, the backing plate stays on as I suspected. BTW: it is the correct part, as it DOES have the backing plate. So far, Summit and NPD are battin' a thousand!

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe (mine)
95' XLT Ranger (mine)
01' GLX 1.8T New Beetle (hers)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts