Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an aluminum radiator for my 66 mustang with a 289 about a year ago for a really good deal, but it has the bottom outlet on the driver side. Well the water pump in my car is beginning to dribble out of the weep hole so I figured now would be a good time to swap out the radiator since I’ll have it all apart changing the water pump anyhow. My question is what water pump do I get? Can I get one for like a 68 mustang? I’m guessing that should work since everything is the same motor wise, right?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
you need a 1970 water pump for a 302 or 351W. Keep in mind the drivers side 1970+ water pump is 1/4" longer then the passenger side 1969 and older pump. you will need to change the timing pointer to the other side. If you are staying with your 3 bolt crank balancer you will need to buy conversion pulleys like CVF racing sells otherwise buy a new 1970 4 bolt balancer and new 1970 pulleys to make it all work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need a 1970 water pump for a 302 or 351W. Keep in mind the drivers side 1970+ water pump is 1/4" longer then the passenger side 1969 and older pump. you will need to change the timing pointer to the other side. If you are staying with your 3 bolt crank balancer you will need to buy conversion pulleys like CVF racing sells otherwise buy a new 1970 4 bolt balancer and new 1970 pulleys to make it all work.
Hmmm, looks like I’m selling the radiator and getting one with a pass. side outlet and regular waterpump. Lol Thanks!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
That will make it a lot easier. lol
ACP max core or ECP radiators would be a good choice to use. 2 row with at least 1" cooling tubes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts