Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently there is a supply crisis for water pumps. NPD, CJ, etc. is out. I am putting in new A/C and want to go ahead and replace the original. Cast Iron '66 289. Any suggestions? Go ahead and install A/C? wait? or another option?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a question. I am certain that I need a cast iron and not an aluminum pump. I have read several places including on this forum that says that the aluminum pump has 3 "ribs" and the cast iron has 7 "ribs". What are the ribs? I can't seem to locate this terminology so I can double check mine before I take it off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like that would be for a serpentine belt. Make sure your looking at the right year.
I usually try to go with ‘high flow’, myself. Always ran cooler.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The original aluminum pump fits a different timing cover.

They make many 'cast iron style' pumps now in aluminum. I've got one on my car.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I do have a question. I am certain that I need a cast iron and not an aluminum pump. I have read several places including on this forum that says that the aluminum pump has 3 "ribs" and the cast iron has 7 "ribs". What are the ribs? I can't seem to locate this terminology so I can double check mine before I take it off.
The ribs have nothing to do with the pump itself. The early 65 timing covers used with the aluminum pumps had 2 ribs on the top. The later timing cover for the cast iron pump had 7 ribs. Latter timing covers had no ribs. They don’t seem to serve a purpose other than to identify which version you have. Probably for the spassembly line workers.

There’s a picture showing the difference on page 5-32 of Bob Mannel’s book.

What’s important to remember is that you can’t mix a aluminum pump timing cover with a iron pump or vice versa

Also the timing covers and pumps have different boss thicknesses so you need different length bolts and spaces for any accessories.

·
Registered
34,170 Posts
There are also rebuild kits for your cast iron pump that include a new impeller/shaft/bearing assembly and seals.

If you want to replace your OEM cast iron pump with an aluminum version, Milodon has a nice one.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I bought a cast iron pump from Summit yesterday. it seems to be of good quality, but not near the quality of the one I removed.

The pump I removed is stamped Made in USA and has thicker webbing to support the snout.

Look at the top of your WP where it meets the timing cover. You will see the ribs on the timing cover, 2 or 7.

Your 66 289 will have 7 ribs if it is original.

I recommend the cast pump if you have 7 ribs on the timing cover, they seem to hold up better, at least the parts store offerings.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a cast iron pump from Summit yesterday. it seems to be of good quality, but not near the quality of the one I removed.

The pump I removed is stamped Made in USA and has thicker webbing to support the snout.

Look at the top of your WP where it meets the timing cover. You will see the ribs on the timing cover, 2 or 7.

Your 66 289 will have 7 ribs if it is original.

I recommend the cast pump if you have 7 ribs on the timing cover, they seem to hold up better, at least the parts store offerings.
Thanks, I'll look to double check. I may look into sending it off to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Summit also carries Edelbrock Water Pumps which are excellent as well...

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts