Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a water pump that has a driver side inlet that fits c4ae-6059b this timing chain cover does anyone know of one my radiator on my 66 coup has the radiator set up like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
1970 and later water pump. However the big problem is that cover had a integral cast on timing marker. The lower hose will block that and you won't have a way to time the engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried using a 78 mustang 2 water pump and it was close but didn’t work

·
Registered
997 Posts
A standard case of modification pieces not fitting together nicely. You may have to go with 2 short pieces of radiator hose with a curved steel pipe in-between.

·
Registered
36,086 Posts
Before this gets out of hand, (home made parts, Chevy parts, etcetera) What engine block do you have??

·
Registered
36,086 Posts
It’s a 5.0 engine out of a Ford Explorer

Oh, excellent. Much as it pains me to suggest spending money, Your best bet in the long run is to install a C5OE-6059-A timing cover (original or repro) the correct 65-66 radiator (even a nice aluminum will do) a 66-69 cast-iron water pump, correct 65-69 pulleys, and a "conversion" 5.0 harmonic balancer. Once this is done, you will never have to mix and match again. Painful, as I said, but only for your checkbook. Plus the whole deal will bolt together in an afternoon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, excellent. Much as it pains me to suggest spending money, Your best bet in the long run is to install a C5OE-6059-A timing cover (original or repro) the correct 65-66 radiator (even a nice aluminum will do) a 66-69 cast-iron water pump, correct 65-69 pulleys, and a "conversion" 5.0 harmonic balancer. Once this is done, you will never have to mix and match again. Painful, as I said, but only for your checkbook. Plus the whole deal will bolt together in an afternoon.
I think that’s what I’m going to do by chance do you know what cover I have it came out of a 65 coup with a 289

·
Registered
36,086 Posts
Yeah, you have an early 65 (before Change Level 7) cover. You need the "after" to go with the 65-69 style iron water pump.

·
Registered
36,086 Posts
I would simply buy the correct water pump and radiator for an early '65....
OK, but the car is a 66, so he'd always have to remember which was which and what was what. By selling the C4 timing cover (which is a hard-to-find item, needed by folks with early cars) he can get the proper timing cover, and use the 66-correct iron water pump.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Ah, first off you can not mix and match any parts between the 65-69 RH water pump style with a 3 bolt balancer and the 70 and later LH water pump with a 4 bolt ballancer no matter how much it looks like you can. On the 70 and later style the timing chain cover uses a bolt on timing mark. This newer cover supercedes the early style. Ford made a bolt on timing mark for when the new style cover is used on early motors.

So if you use a original cover you must use the RH water pump. If you buy the later universal cover, you can use either pump along with the corresponding bolt on timing marker. If you already have the later style radiator you can go with the LH pump but then all the brackets and pulleys must be for the LH style pump.

I did the GT40P swap several years ago and did a extensive write up. Unfortunately due to another forum upgrade some of the images were lost. I keep exceeding my limit of editing, I haven't been able to make updates. Anyway even with the lost images you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
36,634 Posts
OK, but the car is a 66, so he'd always have to remember which was which and what was what. By selling the C4 timing cover (which is a hard-to-find item, needed by folks with early cars) he can get the proper timing cover, and use the 66-correct iron water pump.
Just thinking of the easiest (and cheapest) way to solve the problem. He already has to remember that he's got a late model 5.0 so......? Kelly H has a 5-bolt 289 with the early cover and wp in her '66 and I have a '85 5.0HO in mine.... not too hard to remember. Plus, if you do the job right there's little chance you'll be doing a water pump again for quite some time and then it'll be easy enough to know you've got the early pump (no back plate).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts