Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hook up a temporary temp gauge while I break in my new AOD. If I get a trans temp sending unit (have a bung for it in my trans pan already) and wire it to an electric water temp gauge will it work properly? or are the senders ohm matched to the gauges?

From what I've found avg. auto trans temps should be 180*-200* and most water gauges are up to 240* at least. Any reason this shouldn't work for an electric sensor to electric gauge hookup? Trans temp gauges are ~$50 and I'd have to order one, water temps are <$20 and I could pick it up local and reuse or sell when done with.
Jon

·
Registered
520 Posts
Are you sure the 20 dollar water temp gauge you are seeing is electric. It is more likely the bimetallic type with the long sender line and ginormous bulb on the end. If you do use an electric meter of any type you will need to make sure the sender is matched otherwise your temps will be inaccurate. Other than that, there is no reason your plan wouldn't work if the temp range is adequate. The only other thing i can think of is the material the sender is made out of. Maybe brass doesn't stand up well not transmission fluid? If both tranny and water temp senders are made of the same material then there should be no issue.

Jafo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts