Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing my waterpump and have ran into a snag and need some advice. I'm working on a '66 w/ a 289, all stock.

The shop manual says to remove the PS bracket and pump together as an assembly, and since it has AC, to also remove the compressor drive belt. Yeah right. The only thing I can think is that the manual fails to address cars with BOTH AC and PS.

I don't see how in the world it's possible to remove the PS bracket w/out taking off the AC compressor and its support bracket. There are two or three studs that go through the AC bracket, through the backside of the PS bracket, and into the block/heads. So what am I to do?

Is it possible to remove the waterpump with the PS bracket still in place? Has anyone tried this? There are two bolts the PS bracket and waterpump share, and it looks like I MIGHT be able to slide the waterpump behind the bracket while still mounted, but I'm not sure it will be very easy with a gasket and sealer on the back.

Any input would be great.

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ PS, PB, AC, white interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids, and a tissue dispenser (good for an extra 15 HP!)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hi Doug,
Since no one else has replied, my suggestion is to clear a path for that water pump...

Usually, the brackets come off fairly easily and everything can just be laid off to the side on some cardboard or towels so the EC paint doesn't get scratched or oil on it...There should be enough give in the AC hoses to get the compressor out of the way to remove the bracket...

You want a straight shot at stabbing the pump and making sure its gasket is positioned correctly.....Go with your instincts.....they sounded pretty good to me...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Doug,

From what I can remember, you've got a large u shaped bracket that attaches the power steering pump to the head/A/C compressor lower support. When I had power steering (hehehe it's gone now) I had to swing the power steering pump and the u shaped bracket out of the way and swing the A/C compressor out of the way. I originally did all of this with bolts where the power steering bracket attaches to the head. Studs therew would just make matters worse. I am not sure exactly how to do it, but I agree with CAMACHINIST, clear a path for the pump.

Good luck and take your time.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. And taking my time I am. I already have four hours in just getting the waterpump off. (The only things in the way are the AC bracket, PS bracket, belts, fan shroud, fan, alternator bracket, some hoses, and the like - cake!).

The pump looks absolutely fine--can they be tested off the car? It was peeing like a dog when leaking. Could that have been water escaping the weep hole?

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ PS, PB, AC, white interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids, and a tissue dispenser (good for an extra 15 HP!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts