Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with these? We are considering building one. I've read that it is important to get the right contractor.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
What Wausau does is pre-fabricate structural sections in a factory and send them to site to be assembled. I work for a commercial general contractor and can tell you that pre-fabrication is the trend. It's rare that we stick frame a multi family project. All most all are pre-fabricated wall panels. Its all the same materials as if built on site, just assembled in sections in the controlled environment of a plant. This process is best when there is a lot of repetition. Wausau no doubt has standard models that can be tweaked (customized).

The framers we use have panelizers that they like better than others. You will want to make sure to find a contractor that is experienced with the Wausau product AND can deal with any customization you may want.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Is Wausau homes still around? My dad worked for them for years....along with the stereotypical evil stepmother. They worked in the plant/factory in Mosinee.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I suggest you check how modular homes are treated in your area. In some areas, modular homes are treated like mobile homes. You can't a mortgage and must typically finance through the manufacturer. And, unlike traditionally-built homes, modular homes tend to go down in value with age; again, like mobile homes. I've heard in some areas, modular homes are treated no differently than traditionally-built homes.

Definitely look into it. If your good with with the situation, cool. But some people buy a modular home without knowing the full story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts