Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes things are way more difficult than they need to be.

After having a number of iPods all with the same mixture of songs from various sources (downloaded, burned from CDs and bought from iTunes), I thought I was at least semi-proficient with iTunes.

Well, fast forward a few years and I am down to one.

I’d like to transfer the songs from the remaining working iPod to something else. A Hard Drive, an iPhone, etc. *and* have access to them.

Problem is, the account I used all those years ago is under an e-mail address to a server that is long gone. I have signed in, but the account needs to be verified – by e-mail. From all the research I've done, that’s not possible. You need access to the original e-mail address used to set up the account.

Now, I do have a majority of songs backed up on a hard drive, but iTunes will not play them from an unauthorized machine. Even the main laptop I used to sync and purchase the songs from iTunes comes up as unauthorized.

I can see all of the songs on the iPod when I connect it with iTunes. I can see the backed up files on the hard drive. But, how do I access them?

Any wisdom greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Apple used to prohibit transferring of media FROM any Apple portable device to your computer, even if you had the login, as it would supposedly allow the proliferation of piracy. I believe now, if you're able to login, which you can't, then you can transfer using iTunes from your iPod to your computer.

Any who, this limit is easily overcome for people in your exact situation or those who just want to backup their own devices:
https://drfone.wondershare.com/music-transfer/extract-music-from-ipod.html
https://drfone.wondershare.com/music-transfer/transfer-music-from-ipod-to-new-computer.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a way to change the trusted device by changing the email or using text or phone call. I went thru something similar with iCloud. Iirc, it took a day or so of waiting but it did work. I called apple to get the procedure but had to make several calls to get a tech with an accent I could understand.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Calling Apple to have them reset your old login credential would certainly be worthwhile, however, this will only address your concerns for the media you bought through iTunes. As the OP mentioned having media from ripped CDs and other sources, even if he's successful at resetting his Apple login, using iTunes he won't be able to copy that media from the iPod back to the computer nor will he be able to download it through iTunes since it wasn't purchased there. When you connect an Apple device to a new computer, it'll state that the iPod has been previously synced on another computer and that if you sync with this new computer all data on the iPod will be erased.

To copy media from an Apple mobile device back to a computer, you must use third-party software if all media wasn't purchased through iTunes.
https://www.howtogeek.com/103754/how-to-sync-your-ipod-with-another-pc-without-losing-your-music/

Here's the Apple source:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201253
"You can only sync your iOS device with one iTunes library at a time. If you see a message that your iOS device is synced with another iTunes library, your iOS device was previously connected to another computer. If you click "Erase and Sync" in that message, all content of the selected type on your iOS device will be erased and replaced with content from this computer."

Finally, once you use the third-party software to copy all music from your iPod to your computer, you can just import those music folder/files to iTunes and then sync to your iPhone.
https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/import-items-already-on-your-computer-itns3081/mac

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I have a personal music collection that I bounce around here and there any way I please. I was never much a fan of using iTunes and this thread has REALLY put me off of using it. In my case I had an iPod but found it to be pretty useless and gave it away. I still have iTunes as I own a couple of movies through it and can't access them any other way. I don't actually use it for music and have been happy enough with Media Monkey lately. (On Windows and Android)

And on topic, I'm interested in how this comes out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Brent, Ironstang and Dennis111 - I will read through it all again this evening. I know I have some more questions and I appreciate the direction(s).

One comment - interesting price point for drfone - What's it worth paying for something I already paid Apple for? I think I have figured out a way to access my files that I ripped from CDs.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Yea I used to have an iPod and a ton of music on it but I now use streaming services for everything; primarily Spotify because it has most any artist you could think of and it allows you to store songs on your phone to listen even without any cell/wifi coverage. The Spotify offline music option is only for Premium subscribers which ranges from $5-10/mo. My phone has become my primary source for music especially when I'm in the garage, in the car, or just out and about and I listen to different genres of music depending on what I'm doing so having a vast collection available through a streaming service such as Spotify has been great. I've built out a bunch of playlists over the years, which sync across all devices, and I've been quite happy with it.

I've also tried Pandora and XM/Sirius services but I wasn't impressed with their ability to predict which songs I'd like, such as if I told the app to play a station based on Steppenwolf, I'd end up with artists from all across the spectrum. Spotify allows you to import your existing media, create/download playlists to play specific songs/albums on demand, and allows endless stations which play songs based on a specific song/artist/album/playlist.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Thousands of years ago Satan temped man with an apple........

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I used to have an iPod and a ton of music on it but I now use streaming services for everything; primarily Spotify because it has most any artist you could think of and it allows you to store songs on your phone to listen even without any cell/wifi coverage. The Spotify offline music option is only for Premium subscribers which ranges from $5-10/mo. My phone has become my primary source for music especially when I'm in the garage, in the car, or just out and about and I listen to different genres of music depending on what I'm doing so having a vast collection available through a streaming service such as Spotify has been great. I've built out a bunch of playlists over the years, which sync across all devices, and I've been quite happy with it.

I've also tried Pandora and XM/Sirius services but I wasn't impressed with their ability to predict which songs I'd like, such as if I told the app to play a station based on Steppenwolf, I'd end up with artists from all across the spectrum. Spotify allows you to import your existing media, create/download playlists to play specific songs/albums on demand, and allows endless stations which play songs based on a specific song/artist/album/playlist.

I agree - and why I've managed to let this go for so long. I use XM, and listen online (stream it in the garage through an old phone on wi-fi, through my home receiver and even the smart tv has the app...) and my back up is Amazon Prime music, but I like the variety, especially with new songs/songs I haven't heard before on Outlaw Country.

The iPod is still ideal - for me - for airplanes, and I am on one a few times a month, and for many hours sometimes. Spotify may be the answer if this doesn't work so well.

So - A few of the programs linked are no longer available, but I see two that are. The drfone and the sharepod. Any idea if either will allow for playback, bypassing the Authorized Computer part of iTunes? I can't find that answer... I have the rest of the library playing through iTunes... without the iPod hooked up. Making progress!

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I agree - and why I've managed to let this go for so long. I use XM, and listen online (stream it in the garage through an old phone on wi-fi, through my home receiver and even the smart tv has the app...) and my back up is Amazon Prime music, but I like the variety, especially with new songs/songs I haven't heard before on Outlaw Country.
The iPod is still ideal - for me - for airplanes, and I am on one a few times a month, and for many hours sometimes. Spotify may be the answer if this doesn't work so well.
So - A few of the programs linked are no longer available, but I see two that are. The drfone and the sharepod. Any idea if either will allow for playback, bypassing the Authorized Computer part of iTunes? I can't find that answer... I have the rest of the library playing through iTunes... without the iPod hooked up. Making progress!
Hey! Sorry for posting a program which is trying to charge you. I thought drfone was free based on their website.

So I dug out an old iPod from my closet, which I literally haven't touched in a decade, and tried a few of these programs out. My iPod Nano had 750 songs on it, most of which were from ripped CDs. I was able to copy all 750 songs off the device in a couple minutes with the last program I tried and it never asked for a login. So what I'm now recommending, which is free, is a program called Syncios iPod Transfer:
https://www.syncios.com/ipod-transfer-software-reviews.html

I have a Mac computer and it worked flawlessly but they also have a Windows version which I'd imagine functions similarly.

Here's the steps I took.
1. Do NOT connect your iPod yet
2. Open iTunes
3. Goto Preferences
4. Goto Devices tab and make sure the box is checked for "Prevent iPods, iPhones, iPads from syncing automatically"
This will prevent your computer from erasing your iPod.
5. Click OK to close the Preferences window
6. Connect your iPod and wait for it to appear within iTunes
7. Click the iPod icon in the top left which should take you to your iPod's Summary page
8. Ensure the boxes next to the following are checked: "Sync only checked songs and videos" and "Manually manage music and videos" and "Enable disc use"
9. Click Apply and then close iTunes
10. Open Syncios, you should see your iPod listed on the top left
11. Click on Media Manager and click on one of your songs
12. Press CTRL-A (win) or COMMAND-A (mac) to select all the music on your iPod
13. Click Export and select a folder on your desktop to save the files to.
14. Click OK and watch the progress. It took me 5 mins to copy all 750 songs.
15. Once the transfer is completed, look in that Export folder and you should see all your MP3s listed there.
16. Close Syncios and eject your iPod.

Now you can open iTunes, click on File, click on Add to Library and select that Export folder and all your music will be imported to your current iTunes library. You can then connect your iPhone or whatever device you want to listen to music on and Sync it with all your music.

Cheers!
Brent

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey! Sorry for posting a program which is trying to charge you. I thought drfone was free based on their website.

So I dug out an old iPod from my closet, which I literally haven't touched in a decade, and tried a few of these programs out. My iPod Nano had 750 songs on it, most of which were from ripped CDs. I was able to copy all 750 songs off the device in a couple minutes with the last program I tried and it never asked for a login. So what I'm now recommending, which is free, is a program called Syncios iPod Transfer:
https://www.syncios.com/ipod-transfer-software-reviews.html

I have a Mac computer and it worked flawlessly but they also have a Windows version which I'd imagine functions similarly.

Here's the steps I took.
1. Do NOT connect your iPod yet
2. Open iTunes
3. Goto Preferences
4. Goto Devices tab and make sure the box is checked for "Prevent iPods, iPhones, iPads from syncing automatically"
This will prevent your computer from erasing your iPod.
5. Click OK to close the Preferences window
6. Connect your iPod and wait for it to appear within iTunes
7. Click the iPod icon in the top left which should take you to your iPod's Summary page
8. Ensure the boxes next to the following are checked: "Sync only checked songs and videos" and "Manually manage music and videos" and "Enable disc use"
9. Click Apply and then close iTunes
10. Open Syncios, you should see your iPod listed on the top left
11. Click on Media Manager and click on one of your songs
12. Press CTRL-A (win) or COMMAND-A (mac) to select all the music on your iPod
13. Click Export and select a folder on your desktop to save the files to.
14. Click OK and watch the progress. It took me 5 mins to copy all 750 songs.
15. Once the transfer is completed, look in that Export folder and you should see all your MP3s listed there.
16. Close Syncios and eject your iPod.

Now you can open iTunes, click on File, click on Add to Library and select that Export folder and all your music will be imported to your current iTunes library. You can then connect your iPhone or whatever device you want to listen to music on and Sync it with all your music.

Cheers!
Brent
I did that last night on the PC, and it worked like a charm, until I tried playing songs downloaded from the iTunes store. Same "authorization" message.

I'll try a different player tonight (not iTunes), as well as firing up my older Mac Mini and repeating the process.

Oh, and I did find another program - $20 - called Sharepod. I sent them a note, and they replied quickly stating that the program would allow all songs to be played.

Since I have most of the music available, I'm willing to let the Apple purchased music go... but now it's a challenge - I appreciate the help, guidance and expertise!

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I did that last night on the PC, and it worked like a charm, until I tried playing songs downloaded from the iTunes store. Same "authorization" message.

I'll try a different player tonight (not iTunes), as well as firing up my older Mac Mini and repeating the process.

Oh, and I did find another program - $20 - called Sharepod. I sent them a note, and they replied quickly stating that the program would allow all songs to be played.

Since I have most of the music available, I'm willing to let the Apple purchased music go... but now it's a challenge - I appreciate the help, guidance and expertise!
The Apple iTunes purchased music would be worth the Apple Support phone call. I've spoken with them in the past and it's usually quick and helpful. Hopefully they can just transfer your existing purchases to your new Apple iTunes account and then everything will be downloaded to your computer's iTunes without having to do anything with your old iPod.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I found my ipod in the back of a drawer a couple weeks ago. Plugged it in to see if it would still hold a charge. It did surprisingly well. It's one of the 1st generation ipods. Firewire, spinning disk drive, navigation dial on the front that actually turns, the break-out game built into the os. It was fun to play with. I think it would be a science project to get it connected to a computer again.
If I had the original box it would probably be worth something. Can't believe I do not have the box. (I should keep looking)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts