Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there thats MFC savvy?

Our teacher tought us the bare ass way to do code in MFC.. and now its mid term time , and he says do it in the wizard... and not just myself... but my entire class is like WTF is this. We tried asking millions of questions but obviously he doesnt understand our questions.

As you may know the wizard creates all these files for you and generates some code with TODO entries which is fine... but like i said he showed us the exteme beginner entry level code entry stuff here, and slaps a Payroll program on us for the mid term and wants it done with the wizard...

hell i dont even know what im asking now to stressful with everything thats goin on, school, wrecked car ya know /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

G

·
Are you using Visual C++? If so, what version are you using? I'm only familiar with 6. Let me know exactly what you need help with, and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah we are using visual studio 6 under the c++ coding environment

basically my problem is I CAN do it the bare way, but he wants us to use the wizard and I havent the slightest clue where to start.... I know how to set it up, but as for what code goes where... its a blank

·
Registered
33 Posts
As "soul" alluded to, you're going to have to clarify what you need help on. I wouldn't necesarily ding the teacher though. The idea of a class is to learn something you don't know. If you don't know how to use the wizard, this is the chance to learn.

That said, here's what I'd do if I was in your situation:
1) I'd find my code from the "from scratch" program you alluded to.
2) I'd create a new project with the wizard.
3) I'd answer the wizard prompts very carefully by fabricating class names, application names, form names, etc. and note the names I use and which prompts they pertain to.
4) I'd let the wizard do its work.
5) I'd look at the resulting code -- correlate the names of the files, classes, etc. with the names you used in the wizard. There will be some very clear patterns.
6) I'd compare the wizard-produced files to my "from scratch" examples. They should have similar appearances at some level. Both probably will have a CWinApp instantiation. Both will probably have a form derived from CWindow. And so on. From these comparisons, you can see what the wizard did, how it did it, and how it might differ from your "from scratch" code.
7) Repeat as necessary.

Then, with some code you feel is relatively close to the goal, look more in depth at some of the member variables and events.
1) If you have an event in your "from scratch" code, find out how to add an event using the wizard (hint: CTRL-W is a good friend).
2) Add the event through the wizard and see what file is modified.
3) Do something similar for the member variables.

I'm a big believer in trying something -- even if you fail. What's the worst damage you can do if you ran through the wizard 20 times trying different things?

Since you're taking this class, I assume you're interested in I.T./programming. A big part of the job is figuring things out. Getting past the tool is just the first step. You've got to not get frustrated at the tool or the customer (your teacher). DevNet articles are excellent places to get samples too -- I've seen some in there that walk through creating sample applications.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry,

thanks for the reply.

ill post tomorrow when i arrive at school, my mind has calmed down a bit today, and was able to focus alittle more on my work.

the reason ive been stressing is gettin stuff done on the mach, and it has really got in the way of my work at school, clouding the mind.
with that said I have to put foward extra effort , since i let the car get under my skin its my fault.. I dont blame the teacher, that man knows his stuff! without a doubt in the world that man knows MFC among many other languages!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts