Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an opportunity to buy a couple dirtbikes at what I think is a good price: a 1980 Suzuki DR400 for me and a 1990 Honda XR100 for the kids. They're both in very good running condition, milage unknown, cosmetically decent for their age. Couple qustions:

1. What's a fair asking price for these bikes?

2. Anything I should know, good or bad, about these particular models?

Thanks

G

·
Never owned a suzuki, but the Honda xr series are very reliable bikes. Easy to work on and maintain. Had an xr 75 as a kid and worked on my freind's nephew's (90 or 95 i think) when he was little. As far as price. The xr was pretty cheap new, if it looks good don't go higher than 100 to 200 bucks(unless they have really jumped in price lately)

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Well, Since they are older bike I don't think they are worth that much. After awhile the magneto's tend to wear out. About 5 years ago I used to race in motocross. I bought a retired bike, 1985 chassis, fully race prepped for 500 bucks, but this was a YZ80 when I was a little smaller. If I were you, I would pay no more then 500 for both of them.... also, after I had the YZ80, I bought a fully race prepped YZ125 for 900. The guy hurt himself, so he had to get rid of it cheap. Then I moved up to the New YZ426 4-stroke... it is one hellacious bike... I recently sold it though, come to think of it, maybe thats why I have heart problems now :) The 426 I paid 3500 for. So those bikes being older, I say 500 or less for both.

G

·
Dirt bikes I know about the DR400 was basically Suzukis answer to an enduro machine. Decent bike had some carb issues in its day getting them tuned just right was sometimes a pain. Price on this really depends on condition. Has it been stored outside or inside. It will probably need a rebuild on the head if it hasn't been done recently. Not to expensive to do though. In California these bikes are getting anywhere from 400-900 bucks depending on condition. The XR is a nice little bike Honda reliability 4 stroke engine, these are still selling between 800-1300 typically for decent examples of an early 90's version. They haven't changed much over the years.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
A 1980 Suzuki doesn't have much value, unless you collect old bikes and parts will be difficult to get. $200 would probably be more than fair. However xr100s are virtually bullet proof and the early ones are almost identical to the new ones. You could check [censored] for closed auctions which would give you a pretty good idea of what the value is. IMHO Honda XRs usually hold their value really well.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Dan - Try contacting Shanman. IIRC he sold his GT convertible to finance his new passion for dirtbiking. I bet he'd have some guidance for you. Dickson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts