Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as the new owner of a classic mopar, I can tell you all, that we, as Mustang hobbyists, have it SO easy. The sheer volume and availability of parts for our cars, compared to that of mopars is incredible. First, there are a lot of parts that just don't exist, and if they do exist, they cost typically 50-100% more than a comparable part for a Mustang would.

Just wanted to share/vent, and remind everybody that the next time that repro quarter panel doesn't fit just right, or that dash panel costs a whopping $180 (try $300 for a Coronet), just be grateful for what we have! We DO have it easy here... :)

Dan

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It wasn't always so easy. In 1981 my parents gave in to my incessant whining and bought my first car - a '66 coupe. It had some problems and I started looking for parts. The Mustang restoration business was young then, probably like the Mopar business is now. My rear bumper was a little bent but I couldn't afford $250 for a new one. The power steering was always having problems and I had to go to Ford for new pumps ($$$) and to the junkyard for valve and cylinder parts. In '86 or '87 I put it thru a fence and wiped out the whole right side. I got a new door shell from a yard and NOS front and rear quarters from Ford. I don't remember the cost, but I distinctly remember they were very expensive, even with a good discount.

We've come a long way as a hobby. The sheer number of Mustangs produced allows for a lot of restorations 35 years later. In '81 there were only a handful of Mustang parts suppliers, now there are dozens. Competition drives down the prices.

If you think Mopars are tough, try a '58 - '60 Thunderbird....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My friend is fixing a 70 Charger, and the guy he got it from had just spent $3500 for a hood, fender, decklid, radiator support, rear light panel, and an inner fenderwell. I could have done a lot more to my stang with that kind of money.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Precisely the reason I bought my 65, I started with early 70s Oldsmobiles and Firebirds...hard to find and expensive parts!! ::

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have some British cars. I remember when I first started looking at prices for Stang stuff, thinking that I could buy a whole interior for what it would take to recover on seat in a TR :eek:

·
Administrator
19,357 Posts
A friend drives a 66 (pretty sure it's a 66) Dodge Polara 2 door. It has no exterior chrome side trim, just a large number of holes for it. He guesses it never will have trim as he has yet to find a single parts car in a junkyard in 6 years of ownership.
I don't doubt it. Until I met him I had never even heard of a 2 door Polara.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yeah, my buddy whines to me all the time becasue he had to spend $700 on a grill for his 69' charger.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
hey I know where a 2dr polara 500 is that has a weird side trim. I think its a 65/66 also. guess I'll hafta buy it now as it must be worth a FORTUNE !!! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts