Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you ever wanted to know what the hardest way is to do something then just ask me what I think the best way would be. I changed the weather stripping around the rear window in my '71 FB this weekend. Being the genius that I am, I thought it would be better if I put the rubber in first and glued it down then I could slip the window into the rubber and the job would be done. Wrong! I had to pull it all out and put the rubber on the window first then slip the rubber around the lip of the car using my fingers. Man that was no fun. But I didn't get glue on anything and it's in place. I got to check the seals again but things look good now. Learn from this and don't do what I did and your life will be happier than mine. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
When all else fails, read the directions!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I know you probably didn't have any. OJT, still the best way to go.
Congrats on replacing your window seal.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Next time, try intalling the weatherstrip on the glass like you did. Then, lay some 1/8" nylon rope in the groove around the outside of the weatherstrip. Place the window with installed weatherstrip and rope around the perimeter on the mounting flange on the car and use the rope to flip the weatherstrip around the lip (slick as snot!).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't have any directions. The second suggestion was great! Wish I thought of that. My wife being the good natured person that she is, says, "Next time you should post the question on VMF it would probably save you some time" It's painful when she's right.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You don't happen to know where to get the vertical strip for the rear window (between it and the front window) do you? I can' find any anywhere.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That sounds like a great idea roadracer! I always used putty knifes and screw drivers. I'll have to try that next time I replace glass. Thanks - Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts