Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the refference assembly manuals I have (J.Osborne etc.) It says to use the black adhesive for weatherstripping. The MCA rules state yellow???

I'm confused again...help

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes some insight here would be helpful. My original Dearborn built '65 convertible appears to have yellow glue on the trunk weatherstrip and clear or maybe black on the doors. I peeled off most of the driver's door weathersriop yesterday and underneath there appears to be no glue at all. Just some of the black rubber stuck to the paint so maybe it is black glue but there is NO trace of yellow on the doors. This car did receive "show car treatment" when it was new so maybe a different glue was used for a neater appearance??

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Sorry for the confusing. Pretty simple, the assembly manual has some mistakes included in it ;)

Yellow glue is what should be used where adhesive was used

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Hey Charles you can get it in a 5 gallon pail as well. That'll keep you going ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
It holds up very well and plenty strong. You have to put it on both items being glued, then when you can touch it and it is not sticky, after a few minutes, you put them together. I have one of my sons help me. you have take care like anything. I will use some 3/4 green tape to help keep it down around corners etc until it totaly dries in an hour or so. If you make a mistake, you can pull it off, but be carefull. Wax and grease remover will clean it up when it is still fresh. Should you let it drip where it does not belong. What I like about it is the ability to brush it on and make the glue plenty wide enough for the weather strip, this is not possible with the yellow 3M in the tube. Plus the 3M is way to brite yellow. It stands out and looks terrible in my opinion. Look at any original car and they certainly were not carefull, you can see brush marks in the glue. Your welcome Charles, when I see where I think I can help, I will jump in. It works for me and I hope it works for anyone giving it a try. Here is a pic of an original door and it shows the glue brushed on and the second pic is the glue I have that I brushed on the same door to sample the look, they look close enough for me. Armond

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Thanks Armond will give it a try

1 - 12 of 12 Posts