Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take the new motor (331) out on the back roads today and find out what second gear (C4) can do. Went approximately 94mph at 6400 RPM, so I think it is entirely possible to hit 100 out of second gear at 7000 RPM, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to push it that far yet..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif It's a rush though, kinda gets your juices flowing winding that thing up..... The aerodynamics of the car seem to fail it at those speeds though...but nonetheless I wonder where third gear ends.....

Anyway, enough space used wastefully, just thought I'd share my fun..

Dave

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
But would you have been able to burn rubber if you had pushed it into 3rd? Now THAT'S the question I want answered!!!!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Getting the car down out of the breeze helps a bunch with handling and can also make it faster...

I lowered the race car about 1 1/2" all around and put a Shelby chin on it and it made a world of difference, especially over 100 mph...

BTW, you need more gear unless this is a high speed road race car..*G* I'm in second gear at about 70'(5600 rpm) and high gear before hitting 330 ft...

Have fun!

G

·
0 Posts
Dave, be careful out there. Yeah, going 100 mph in a 66 coupe is a thrill, but is it the right thing to do. To do this safely you should: Look into lowering the car and obtaining performance oriented suspension, tires, and rims, then, get it to the track and go for your triple digits in a controlled situation with good road and banked curves and EMS readily available just in case.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I can't wait to get on the track, but I am not sure there are any more open nites here at the local one. You are probably right camachinist that I need some more gear if I want it to be a 1/4 mile machine. Maybe I'll get a set for race and keep the 3.55's for the street. I have already lowered the car 1" all the way around, with complete new suspension, front and back, and new tires/rims. I don't know why the aerodynamics are that bad still, but maybe there is some mis-balance in the tires or driveline that shows up at those speeds. When I get ready to do some serious stuff at the track, I am going to try and lighten up the load a little, but I think my first problem is going to be traction. What is the best way to go about getting fat tires on the back there without sticking them way out side the fender?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts