Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a weiand stealth manifold topped off with a holley street avenger carb and it doesnt look like this combo with a air cleaner is going too fit under the hood. Am I wrong. I have a 66 coupe. I was recomended this manifold by many here, but no one ever said anything about hood clearance issues.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a weiand Stealth toped by an Autolite 4100 with a open element air cleaner. I was able to use a Boss 302 phenolic (sp) spacer turned upside down for my PCV connection and I have ~3/4 inch to spare. I am not sure if you will have the room. You may have to go with a dropped based for your air cleaner.

Mike

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the same combo as you, stealth with a 570 street avenger. My hood clearence is close but i can fit one of these cheapo air cleaner with no problem. I had a 3" air filter in there and it BARELY fit. It fit untill a motor mount snap. You can imagine what happened next.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I have a stock set up with a Weiand Stealth, Autolite 4100 and correct spacer. If I use a flat nut, I will clear it with a tiniest of margins and perhaps just a smidgen of touching the hood.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'd at least put clay up on your air filter and slowly shut the hood to see if there is any interference. You don't want that interference to show up as a dimple in the hood...
Daniel

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
hmmmm, reading this info on the Weiand intake makes me wonder if I should leave my stock 2 barrel and intake in place or start playing the parts swap game. :D

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Any hi-rise intake in a '65/'66 will cause air cleaner to hood challenges with a stock hood.

On my '66, I have the Edelbrock RPM intake (about .02 shorter than a Weiand Stealth, IIRC). I can only fit a 2" filter and 1/2" spacer, then have 1/4" clearance to the hood.

It's been an even bigger challenge with the 351w based stroker in the '69 with a Weiand Stealth. I'm running a 2" drop based filter, with a K&N Extreme filter lid to offset any negative effects of the small fitler and drop base.

You can get dropped bases at Summit, Jegs, etc. Usually Kragen's carries a pretty decent one made by Spectre, as well, and for a lot less $.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah i got a 351w in my 66 stang with a stelth intake and a 850 holley annnnnddddd its not looking like my hoods gonna close over my airfilter (not by much mind you, i can close the hood and at the first click its not touching but the second is to much), i was thinking about a drop base air filter but thats going to be in the way of my throttle linkage no??? please if anyone knows a really low profile air filter please let me know!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the same Stealth intake in a 66 but I have the Holley 650DP...not sure how much difference there is in dimensions with the Street Avenger. I didn't have any clearance issues with a couple of different air cleaners

Attachments

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Umm, you guys realize this is a 7yr. old thread? I would hope the OP would have solved this issue by now...
Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts