Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all...

My quandry of the evening is my experience driving my best friend's new 2001 Mustang GT. It has about 3,000 miles on the clock so it's fully broken in.

It's a 5-speed and I've driven PLENTY of manual cars in my time. I have no problems with my buddy's Integra Type-R, my brother's 96 Mazda truck, nor my dad's 67 GT.

Anyway, to my problem. I had just gotten into the car and I tried to slip the car in first gear and go... This is the plan right? Well, wrong! Every time I started to let out the clutch, it died out. It's as if the clutch only had 2 inches of grab! When I started feathering the gas pedal before I barely lifted the clutch, the car hooked up and away I went. This is common to cable clutch manual transmissions, but not to hydraulic clutch transmissions, right? Is the new Mustang cable clutch?

This has my friend really worried. He said it hasn't been a problem before. Also, I noticed that while at a stoplight, I had the car in neutral (foot on the brake though) and it died.

Something wrong?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have used a lot of Ford hydro cluches before, and about half are like that. You get used to it. Now for the stalling. A frend of mine has a 01 V6 Mustang that does the same thing. Not very often though, about once a week. They have not had any luck fixing it yet.

G

·
0 Posts
Ford clutchs suck...

our 99's does grap until the very end...
my best friends 96 grabbed about 2 inches off the floor.

I've gotten used to them though...It is tough going from the 65 to the 99 back to back...I usually end up revving the 99 or stalling the 65.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I owned his car, I'd drop in a Centerforce post-haste.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'll feed it back to him later today. He's taking it to Ford tomorrow to see about getting the neutral stall fixed.

Once I get it going, that engine sure does sing sweet melodies of exhaust, doesn't it? I like the tone of the 4.6 more than, dare I say, the 5.0.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts