Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I kind of have a weird situation here. I have a 68 coupe with factory disc brakes in the front and drum in the rear. I replaced the brake pads, rotors, and wheel bearings and seal on both sides over the weekend. I have done a few previous brake jobs so It's not like I'm really new to this. However, I compressed the caliper piston as far as it would go on both sides and it seemed that the pads rubbed no matter how much I sanded the pads because I thought they were too thick (got a different brand pad and still had the same issue.) However, there was little contact between the rotor and pad so I figured it would be ok because it would just wear off after a couple short drives anyway. So I go to drive the car and it seemed that the brakes would stay engaged until I gave it some gas AFTER I had released the brake pedal. Also, after driving a few miles I got out to check to make sure the rotors were okay, The drums in the REAR were smoking like crazy. I haven't even touched them since I have owned the car and never had this happen before. I replaced the master cylinder over the summer because it was leaking into the booster. I cleaned all the fluid out of the booster and all was fine until this job. I have some good experience with cars but I'm not an expert by any means (I'm only 20 lol) but my guess was that either it was a defective master cylinder or booster. The pedal seemed to be a bit more spongy than I remember also. Could also possibly be the distribution block, but I wanted some other opinions before going any further. Thoughts on what it may be? Possibly the MC went bad when I compressed the pistons? I thought It was something I had done until I realized the drums were smoking when I had never touched them.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
If the master cylinder was topped off while the pads were low, you compressed the pistons into the caliper, you raised the level of fluid in the master cylinder, have compressed the air and it is exerting pressure on the system even when not braking? Maybe?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I had a similar issue when I converted my 68 to Power brakes. When installing the MC I inadvertently left out the spacer. This caused the the rod to apply pressure even when the pedal was being pressed. You also have to adjust the rod length.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts