Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a towing cam of very mild lift and duration going in my 302 and its installed straight up(+4 degrees on the cam).

Well, I was turning the motor over by hand with a wrench and noticed something that seems very strange to me. I should note that I'm used to working with big cams and have never installed anything this mild before so maybe thats it.

Ok, watching the #1 cylinder I can turn the crank and the intake valve opens and I feel suction on the #1 hole. The piston draws on down and then the intake valve shuts as normal for compression stroke. Now both valves are closed and I feel compression coming up out the spark plug hole. As I keep turning it the exhaust valve opens and closes but I feel another little puff out the spark plug hole after the exhaust valve closes and before the intake valve opens? Is this normal or not? What the heck is going on?

Oh yeah, they all do it. I just used #1 as an example. Found a big ole whopping black widow under my air compressor. Hate thost things. One time I put my foot in my outside shoes with no sock on and felt something wiggle. Yanked my foot out and slammed the shoe down. Yep, black widow spider crawled out. Yikes.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
My only guess is that it has wide centers and no overlap. The bigger cams usually have tighter centers and a bit of overlap....That cam must really have a short duration...Maybe 210 or less at .050?

Gary......::

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to locate my cam card for the cam but yes it was around 210 at .050 and maybe .460 or .480 lift. Its a very mild cam. The guys over at FordMuscle also pointed out that if my lifters aren't pumped up(which they aren't yet) that could be messing with my valve timing a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts