Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front end this weekend. I got the parts from CanadianMustang.com. I got the right side upper arm off and tried to install the new one. Wouldn't fit! Er? Took a look and found the bolts on the shaft were spaced a wee bit closer together than the old one. Well, thinks I, I'll just waller the bolt holes out a tad and all will be well. But, why bother now, I'll use the other replacement arm and worry about the narrow one when I get to the other side. So, the other arm goes in just fine and I get to the drivers side to try to get the narrow one to fit. I went down to the hardware store and got a rasp for my drill and prepared to show it who's boss. I take the new arm and check the fit first to see how much I need to file. Well, what do you know? It fits on this side!
strange...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I experienced the same problem with the new upper arms I got from Canadian Mustang also. The shafts were slightly bowed, so that the bolts would not go through the factory holes. I sent them back and decided to rebuild my originals with new shafts from NPD. Obviously the parts from C.M. are defective.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1606262&a=12247897&p=44606300.jpg
The G-Man's '65 K-code Fastback
Visit my website

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Very strange. When I replaced mine several years ago, they fit fine, but then I did not check the bolt spacing, just put them up to the holes and in they went. Is it possible as time goes on that manufacturing standards are starting to slip? Glad it worked out for you with out having to show it who was boss.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

1 - 3 of 3 Posts