Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 coupe, the fuel/temp/oil gauges were not working, so I purchased a new instrument voltage regulator. This still did not solve the problem, however upon experimenting, I pulled the unit away from the body of the instrument cluster. The fuel gauge began to work, and showed a reasonably accurate amount of gas. touching it against the cluster caused the needle to go back down. I was under the impression that bolting the unit in the correct spot was how the unit grounded itself. So why would grounding it to the cluster cause it to NOT work?
help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
The only instrument cluster voltage regulator I have had that works is the original one. The reproduction ones are lousy. I have tried about 3 of them and none worked right.

I would suggest getting or making a solid state electronic one. There is a guy on Ebay that sells them for about 25-30 bucks.

http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id29.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Instrument-Cluster-Voltage-Regulator-5v-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem415372c2dbQQitemZ280572904155QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I agree the repop's are crap. Is it possible you have the leads reversed on the IVR? Never really thought about it, but possibly it may act like that.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
One of the mustang sites had a pic of a CVR that was built wrong from the factory (a repop factory) and the leads were reversed. I don't recall the site, or if you could hook it up at all but it was a subtle difference and you took the original and laid it beside the new one and you could see it. Check the "grabber" registry- I think it was there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input
I had bought a new IVR AND made the one like from that website.
they both work, the homemade one just reads almost a quarter tank lower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts