Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before putting my Mach 1 in storage, I was in the process of tracking down a suspected short. Ever since I bought the car the interior lights have been dim and would occassionally shine bright and then go back to dim. The battery would be dead if I let it sit for a week without starting it. I even bought a new battery. Same thing.

Now the weird part, one of the things I changed while checking things out was the voltage regulator.

When I run the car with the new voltage regulator the interior lights are bright. However, as I would increase the RPMs on the engine, the siren of my alarm would start going off. It starts out quiet and slow and keeps getting louder and faster as the RPMs increase.

I'm thinking a short or mis-wire with the alarm may be the root of all the problems.
Could the new voltage regulator be flakey and causing this? Are the aftermarket regulators known to be flakey like the alternators?

It'll be a while till I work on it again, but thought I'd fish for clues

Thanks,

Brent

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
That's a new one! Sounds like your VR is working fine. I'd sure check out the wiring on the alarm system. May not be a short as much as a poor ground in the alarm system. I've known bad grounds to do strange things. It could also be in the control box for your alarm. It might be worthwhile to let someone who sells your alarm system troubleshoot it. It might just need reprogramed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Is the aftermarket regulator you installed one of the new solid state ones that doesn't use points? If so, these have generally been well received. I have one in my car that has performed flawlessly for about 4 or 5 years now. I agree that it must be something in the alarm wiring, or bad ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts