Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Friday everyone! So I've been looking for a loud clicking sound somewhere on the passenger side of my engine bay. Have had the front up a few times looking for it by pulling/pushing on the joints and looking around for any signs of where the click is coming from.

The click usually when I turn left about 25% of the time. I can hear and feel the click. Rarely does it click when I turn right. Also happens when I go in reverse with the steering wheel pointing to the left. Rarely when pointing straight or right. I did have some small cracks on the passenger shock tower so I drilled out holes at the end of the cracks and had a welder come by to weld the cracks with a mig welder. The clicking didn't go away so I bought the wheel well enforcement plates and took the control arms off of both sides, clean, inspect for cracks on the wheel wells, grind the plates and weld them on to both wheel wells. The click remains. It's not tire rubbing on fender because that would be a long rub sound. It's more like a joint is clicking but the weird part is it doesn't make any sound for clicking back into place. For example when it clicks when I turn left, you would think it would click right after when I straighten or turn right but it doesn't. Hate to have to replace parts that I don't need to replace and I know the descriptions are vague! Looked for any loose nuts and missing cotter pins but nothing is loose and no missing cotter pins.

Couple things I thought to look at replacing is the idler arm or the bushings on the swing bar end links?

Any ideas where I should look would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
The stresses of driving pushes and pulls on the strut rod much harder. I don't think you can check them by pulling and pushing. Perhaps check that the torque of the strut rod nut to frame bracket is 60 - 80 ft.lbs. If you have to move it much, it will affect alignment.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Saw that video before and was thinking of doing the same thing but need to see if I have a mount for my GoPro that would work. That way I can see if the click is from the strut rod area or have to move the camera around to locate where it's coming from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts