Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 coupe i6, C4, Autolite 1100. It has a new gas tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, DUI dist.
Here lately, it will stall when i have to quickly let off the throttle to stop fast. If I ease off the
throttle, to gradually stop, it does just fine.
I'm pretty sure it's not loosing power to the dist. which lead me to a fuel issue.
All plugs removed and looked almost perfect. Perfect idle. Vacuum test showed steady at 22 in HG.
I have adjusted the anti-stall dashpot (even gave it an extra turn for testing)
Any ideas? Dirt in carb float bowel causing needle seat problems causing momentary flooding
or starvation? ???
Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think you are right in suspecting something related to the float. I don't think it is dirt. I would double check the float level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I began thinking if the gas level is too high, it could be dumping fuel "sloshing it" out, making it flood temporary.
It starts right back up every time then takes a couple seconds to burn the extra gas and smooth out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't recall if the bowl is in the front or the back. I think I may have an 1100 in a box in the living room somewhere. Just going from experience with other carbs, if the float is in the front and the level is two low it could uncover the jets during braking. If the bowl is in the back and the level is too high. The gas could slosh forward through the vent ( if that exists on an 1100) and flood it.

Given that it runs well except under hard braking, I would suspect one of these.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's in the front. You're probably right about it could be low. I will just pull the top off and check it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have a '66 coupe i6, C4, Autolite 1100. It has a new gas tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, DUI dist.
Here lately, it will stall when i have to quickly let off the throttle to stop fast. If I ease off the
throttle, to gradually stop, it does just fine.
I'm pretty sure it's not loosing power to the dist. which lead me to a fuel issue.
All plugs removed and looked almost perfect. Perfect idle. Vacuum test showed steady at 22 in HG.
I have adjusted the anti-stall dashpot (even gave it an extra turn for testing)
Any ideas? Dirt in carb float bowel causing needle seat problems causing momentary flooding
or starvation? ???
Thanks
Does your Carburetor have a Dashpot?
A Dashpot slows the last bit of travel when the throttle is closing so it doesn't "snap" shut too quickly.
I'm not sure if they were standard on the 6 cylinder carbs, but my V8 2 barrel carb has one.
Dashpot.JPG Dashpot AJ.JPG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it has the dashpot on the right side and I adjusted it by the manual. (turn in until it touches the plunger and then 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 additional turns)
I may turn it in some more to slow the throttle release more and see what happens until I get around to checking the float level. It's a daily driver and
not much time during the week. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts