Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this weird problem with my tail lights. When I step on the brakes, only the right side brake light lights up. If I turn on the right turn signal, then the left brake light works. If I turn on the left turn signal, it works and the right brake light works. In other words, the right side seems to work normally and the left turn signal seems to work normally. Unless I have the right turn signal on, the left brake light won't work. I notice a wire from each side that seems to run into and then under the trunk. ARe these the ground wires for each side and could this be the problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

andy

·
Premium Member
19,208 Posts
Andy:
Undo the two plugs under the dash that go from the steering column turn switch to the rear harness. Use a multimeter on the side coming from the steering column, and check each connection to ensure that it is getting proper signals to the right wires. My guess is that the position in the plug is bad, as someone might have just replaced the turn signal switch????

You need to be very explicit about what is happening when. For example, when brakes off, left turn signal on, bulb x lights. There are four of these conditions...we need to know all four conditions to properly diagnose it.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got my car I had this problem. With me it was the switch was snapped and the lights near random.
dunno if that would help

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Premium Member
19,208 Posts
Actually, I need info on six conditions:
headlights off, left turn signal
headlights on, left turn signal
headlights off, right turn signal
headlights on, right turn signal
brakes on, left turn signal
brakes on, right turn signal
brakes on, headlights on, left turn signal
brakes on, headlights on, right turn signal

I never said I could count!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
786 Posts
With mine it was acting exactly like yours, it was the switch in the steering column that controls the "bllinkers". Tried getting a new cam to replace the broken one I found I had, after sveral days of frustration - went to my Ford dealer and bought the $70 complete harness & switch assembly. All is good now.

Another clue to the switch, is, the turn signal handle had a lot of play up and down in the center position and hung low. If it was moved upward where it should have been, then it was OK.

Good luck,

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts