Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning boys. Newbie here...please be gentle.

I have a weird situation going on with my friend's 65 and am in need of some expertise and direction.

Over the weekend, I replaced the turn signal switch for him. It was a straightforward repair and I did not experience any issues. After putting the steering wheel back on, I discovered the horn didn't work. I noticed a larger than normal gap between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of the steering column, so I loosened the two under dash bolts that support the column and adjusted the column upward and re-tightened the two bolts. This reduced the gap and allowed the spring-loaded horn contacts to make contact with the rings on the underside of the steering wheel. The horn worked like a charm.

After my friend left, he came back a few minutes later and said that, while moving, the steering wheel does not return to center after turning (he said it was something that the car always did). I took the car out for a spin and I noticed it as well (it felt like a non-power steering car). I re-checked my work and did not notice any interference between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of the steering column. Sitting behind the wheel (with the engine off) the steering wheel moves freely in both directions with little effort and is noise-free.

What did I do wrong here? What am I missing? This is the first time I have replaced a turn signal switch on a Mustang. I have replaced a dozen or so TS switches over my 45+ years of restoring 1967-1972 Mercurys and Fords and I consider myself to have a higher than average mechanical IQ. But I've got to say, I'm stumped on this one.

·
Registered
36,857 Posts
Hmmm… Couple of clarifying questions. What year is the car? Do you have power steering?

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
886 Posts
You have to go back to where you moved the column. Did the turn signals not work at all before you started? Did the horn work before you started?

I would probably loosen the column and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to go back to where you moved the column. Did the turn signals not work at all before you started? Did the horn work before you started?

I would probably loosen the column and see if that changes anything.
Horn worked...internal turn signal tab was broken. I think my next step is to work backward and find the issue.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's a common complaint with a Borgeson swap. An alignment with more caster will help. Tech Information - Opentracker Racing Products

Was it an original P/S car? A factory P/S idler arm used an idler arm with a different bushing than a manual idler arm to help with return to centre.
Nothing to do with the switch replacement.
Edit: Aim for 4.5 degrees of caster.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
^ What he said.
The Borgeson setup is NOT an upgrade.
As mentioned, you just may be fortunate enough to get "return to center" with copious amounts of positive caster.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The Borgeson means the streering shaft have been cut and a joint and probably some kind of bearing have been added to the low end of the shaft. Moving the steering column may mess with some of those added parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts