Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front 2 tires both have a wierd wear pattern. the inner corner is worn down...almost smooth (getting them replaced tomorrow) ... the outer corner still has tread.
The tires were cheaper tires admittedly, I bought 6 years ago. but the car was in storage for 3 years. so I'm a bit concerned about it. I am getting the alignment checked tomorrow. and I had the tires filled to specs on air. it's got me scratchin' my chin.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If by "corner" you are refering to the inner and outer edge of the tread area, then your problem is excessive negative camber.

Jim Vogel
Tallmadge, Ohio

http://images.freepichosting.com/jdvogel/14953-Large.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, what is excessive negative camber?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Camber is the angle that the wheel is "tilted". I dont know which way negative or positive is, but picture a perfectly straight vertical line next to your tire, and camber would be the angle your tire is away from this line. hope this makes sense.

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
look at your car from the front. in layman's term, negative camber means that the bottom of the wheel is further away than the top. zero camber means the wheel is perfectly straight up and down.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was already gonna have it checked. I'm going to a firestone place with full warranties.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the KY Jelly if you're going to Firestone. They will surely attempt to sell you half a dozen parts you don't need and charge you double what your neighborhood independent mechanic will charge you, plus they will probably do the job crappy Insert any national chain auto repair where it says Firestone and you will likely get the same service.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I seriously doubt that the problem is camber. For your car to have that much camber, without you getting in an accident is slim. The most likely candidate is excessive toe (in or out). Get the alignment done when the tires get installed.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Let me guess, does the car feel a little squirley at high speeds, particularly on grooved pavement? Do minor bumps on the freeway tend to want to shove the car back and forth? My 66 had the exact same problem, inside treads worn smooth, outside still meaty, and all the symptoms I described above. Turned out that I was toed out by about 1.5"!! Alignment guy fixed it, and the difference in handling was incredible. Hopefully my new front tires wear better as well!

Funny thing is that the P.O. had the alignment set just before I bought it. It wasn't till I destroyed new front tires in 10K miles that I questioned the alignment! Obviously, the P.O.'s alignment guy screwed up!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, Bingo, on the money, handles like a pony 15 years younger then her age now:) thanks for the info!\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts