Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run a 15x8 prostar with 5.5 inch backspace on the back of a 1969 mustang... Stock drum brakes... If so what size tire fits nicely...

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Have to ask why you want that much backspacing on a 8'' rim?? Would set in kinda far wouldn't it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well since you asked.. im trying to fit them on my 69 mach 1 and on my 2003 mach 1... so i dont need to buy two different sets...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome great!!! I'm getting a killer deal on rims$! Hope he has stock suspension... Think I see some type of traction device... I would be happy with a 245/60/15... Or 255/60/15

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I am running them on my 68 and they fit no problem..I think the 69 has a little more room to the outside wheel well so they may look tucked in pretty good....You could always use a small spacer to get the rim exactly where you want it..I love the fit on my 68 because they don't pelt the lower rear part of the 1/4 panels with rocks when I am running my sticky tires at the track..

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
5.5 backspacing will rub the leaf spring. Mine are 4.5 backspacing, with a 275/50R15 on them, and are maybe 1/2" from the spring.
I think you are confusing them with the front wheels. 4.75" backspacing is about the max you can go on the front before it hits the ball joint. For the rear, I've got 10.5" rims with 6.85" backspacing and need 3/8" spacers to get about 1/4" clearance to the leaf spring. That is basically a net backspace of 6.5". I would think a wheel with 5.5" backspacing would work with a little over an inch clearance to the leaf spring. Watch the tire width and the quarter lip clearance when getting too low of backspacing.

FWIW, I have factory rear suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts