Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Welder Advise

4K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  cruising68 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m getting together all the tools need for my 67 FB restoration. Since I need to replace some frame rails and sheet metal one of those tools is a mig welder. The last time I welded was 30 years ago and it was a stick welder. Since I’ve never mig welded I need your help in buying one. I’ve been looking at the Lincoln and Hobart 130 and 140 amp welders. I can purchase the 130 amp machine for around $400, the 140 amp is around $500. I can’t see where an extra 10 amps is worth $100. I would appreciate any guidance you could give me which welder to go with and why. Thanks for your help.

#19 ·
Had mine since 98 and haven't had a problem with it. I did have to replace the hose and gun 2 years ago as it developed some pinhole leaks do to age and use.You have to replace the gun and the hose together as they are one piece. I got the flex head gun with the new hose from Weldusa for $99.

G
#5 ·
You aren't paying for just 10A, I'm sure there is a duty cycle difference. That being said, I have run my business with a 120V MIG and I can count on one hand how many times I had even the smallest of issues with duty cycle.

#8 ·
I'm with bartl on this. The 211 w/autoset is a great welder. The dual voltage (110v-220v) is very versatile. When money is an issue, or for the occasional welder, I usually advise the Hobart 140. Shielding gas is "reasonable". Price of the tank however isn't, but you only buy it once. If you decide to upgrade to a larger tank, vendors will buy the old one back.

#9 ·
I bought the Miller 211 after never having done a single weld in my life. I watched a few videos on YouTube and asked a lot of questions and it did not take too much effort to get some decent welds. I have only done practice with it so far but it is easy to get nice welds with it. But...it costs around $1100.

#11 ·
Make sure you get a machine (Miller or Lincoln) with an infinitely variable amperage rheostat. The 4 setting jobbies ain't that shiney......I have one of those and have fought it since I bought it.They are about 100 bucks cheaper but it was unwisely saved.

#12 ·
Miller Welders, Welding Supplies, Plasma Cutters, Hobart and more at Cyberweld.com. very reasonable prices on name brand welders, and no taxes for out of state orders plus free shipping. Eastwood welders are Chinese, but I haven't heard of any problems with them. They may be what you need as a hobbyist. Most all 90 amp mig welders will do pretty good with sheet metal, but you may have a problem with thicker material.

#13 ·
I bought a Millermatic 180. I've welded from 22 ga. to 5/16" and you would swear I was a pro at it (I'm not). I went with the 220VAC welder to have the ability to weld heavier things when needed. The auto-set wire feed is amazing

Miller Millermatic 180 MIG Welding Pkg (907312)

#14 ·
One other thing. You cant beat the Harbor Freight welding cart for the price. I've seen them as low as $39 with a coupon and the quality is about the same as the ones you will get from the welding supply stores.

100 lb. Capacity Welding Cart

When I bought my Miller TIG system last year, I bought one of these instead of one from the welder supply. Its the same quality and works excellent.

#16 ·
I replaced many a panel on my Mustang with my Hobart 140. I bought it from Northern Tool with free shipping. Just last weekend I saw my local Big R store has the Hobart 140 in stock and ready for pick up. I can see how a larger welder could come in handy. But I have yet to need a larger welder.

For welding sheet metal, buy the smallest wire available. You may have to also buy a smaller drive wheel, depending on what comes with your welder. I had to buy a new drive wheel.

As far as I can tell, the Miller and Hobart welders are identical hardware with different paint.

As mentioned, be sure to add the cost of gas, a good auto-darkening helmet and a cart to your budget. Don't even bother with welding without gas. For a car, it's a waste of time and effort. Oh, and you'll also need a good grinder. New welders tend to grind a lot! :)

#17 ·
I've had my Millermatic 135 for about 11 years without one problem. As others have said use the .23 wire for welding sheet metal. Absolutely only go with gas. Don't forget the auto darkening helmet and welding gloves. I also took a welding class at a local tech school. It mainly focus on a stick welding. However the principles are the same. For me the class was indispensable.

#18 ·
Another vote for a Miller Autoset 211. A little pricy but it worked great. I have a wide range of things that need welding at my business. I like the fact that you can weld thin sheet metal then weld 4" square channel. I was a BEGINNER welder when I bought the Miller. After doing my cowl repair I am pretty decent at welding sheet metal. It's all in the power and wire speed :)

#20 ·
I have the Millermatic 211, $1050 Epay item, and I am very happy with it. It is dual voltage, and has a burn back feature...no more stuck wire in the tips.
I welded on thin, oily, wet, rusty steel, on a 20 degree day, fighting a 35 mph wind at my back...no problem!!! Laid a awesome bead with shielding gas. The 211 may be over kill for some people, but since we are on the subject, I thought my input is worth something for people looking for more.

#21 ·
Whatever you do, avoid the Chinese built options. I bought a Lincoln MiG some 35 years ago and can still get any parts if I need them. It never fails me and the higher cost over the Chinese junk has long been forgotten. Buy quality. Hobart; Lincoln and Miller will last a lifetime.

#22 ·
Regardless of what others have and love the fact is for a single restoration and even more an inexpensive welder such as the Eastwood 135 (dirt cheap on sale) has variable amperage settings and the duty cycle is more than adequate for home use. Do not use a flux core mig. The lincoln and hobart and miller welders should hold up better with heavy use but for a home built weekend project the new cheaper welders will work just fine.

Rick

#23 ·
This is probably one of the most informative welder threads I've seen, even though I didn't initiate I appreciate everybody's contribution.

I know everybody prefers the 220v would the Miller still be your choice if the 220v wasn't an option? (since it's a dual voltage and you can change it, or would there be another model or brand to be looking at)

#28 ·
I also suggest you consider what upgrades have to be made to weld aluminum with a spool gun. Some older models have expensive spool gun attachments or none at all. Some of the newer models have affordable spool gun attachments that makes welding aluminum much easier. You may not plan on it now, but at some point, you will wish you had the capability.

I have an older miller 175. It hasn't faulted once. Typically, the better, costlier units have better, more durable electronics. ie: motherboard.

#30 ·
+1 One of the reasons I chose the Autoset 211. It came with an aluminum spool gun attachment. I haven't done any aluminum but my business partner has. He could do it after a reasonably short learning curve but his aluminum welds are still pretty ugly looking.

#29 ·
This is what I have at home. Great welder, you can set on & off times to stitch weld sheet metal, set just on time to plug weld. Polarity is reverse polarity as well. Transformer is wound with copper, not aluminum. A real quality welder! MIG 140 Welding Package, Welding Gun Accessories, Metal Working, Welder Supplies | USAWeld.com

I have a Lincoln 140 amp on my truck set up for flux core which works well too. With 120 volt welders just make sure you have a good branch circuit at home. With 120 volts, voltage drop is four times greater then the same welder on a 240 volt circuit. I run mine on a #10 wire. Voltage drop should be no more then 3%, measure voltage by welder while running and not at the outlet on the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.