Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going out to get my welder this weekend and was wondering if you guys could make some reccomendations. It will be mostly used for sheetmetal repair but I am also doing the inner rockers. Any thing I should look out for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I purchased a the Hobart Handler 135. It comes with flux-core wire so you don't need any gas. It also came with everything you need to convert it to a true MIG setup: regulator, hose etc. I recently switched over to the MIG setup and am very happy. More than adequate for any welding to be done on a car. Cost $450.00 at Northern Equipment about 1 month ago. Hope I helped some :)

70 Fastback- under construction

·
Registered
923 Posts
Go to the old forum, lots of info there.
Lincoln-electric salesman talked me out of a expensive unit and told me to get the Weld pak 100. $309 at Home Depot,
Thats with flux core. $99 to buy the gas conversion kit, again Home Depot. $70 for a tank at Harbour Freight. I have been very pleased with the Lincoln-Electric unit. the salesman was right. Talk to your local High school shop teacher, they have alot of info. Buy quality. Lincoln-Electric, Hobart, Miller.
Number one tip for any new welder. BUY A AUTO DIMMING HELMET. $80 at Harbour Freight when on sale. My welds changed overnight from a Ray Charles technique to decent looking weld.

My son got me into this and I'm having a ball
65 fastback, 289, 3 speed, Holly 1850, Edelbrock intake. SSB front disks in a box, Canadian Mustang "real big kit" suspension in alot of boxes,
Right now lots of boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too have the weld-pak 100 with the gas conversion kit.Great inexpensive peice of equipment.I also got SWMBO to spring for the AutoDarkening helmet(only the 159.00 model).Once you get it,Pick up some scrap sheet metal and blast away.I like the weld-pak for it's four heat settings and handy chart on the inside of the welder itself for different gauges of metals.

70 Vert
302 w\factory air

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the Hobart as well. It's a fantastic unit. The fact that it comes with the gas stuff, makes it a better bargain. My brother-in-law (who's been in welding supplies for about 20 years) says the weldpak 100 is not a very adaquate machine. The Hobart will weld just about anything. With Fluxcore, I've seen my brother-in-law weld 1/8" 2" tubing with no sweat. It really is a great machine.

http://members.tripod.com/tangdar/
'67 Coupe project car (Did I say project car? I meant pile of rust)
http://www.americainter.net/~fevans/tangdar_flintstone.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts