Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wound up finally destroying my existing welding tip (accidentally of course). Unfortunately for me, the company that produced my welder has been out of business for approx. 15 yrs. I called down the list of vendors only to discover that the last 200 tips were bought by a man in California two years ago. I then spoke to the previous owner of my welder who told me that he has been custom making welding tips for years from solid copper rod. I purchased the copper rod and threaded it to fit my welder, but now I need to know the exact size of the hole I need to drill in the tip. If I am using .030" wire, does the hole need to be .030" or should it be slightly larger? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the former owner is nowhere to be found.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Agree with Randy. I've run .030" wire through a .035" tip numerous times in an emergency. The tip doesn't last as long but it does work. I use wire lubricant at the drive rollers.

Likely, if you drill (with a new sharp drill) a 1/32" hole, you'll be fine.

Lastly, you can take your gun to a welding supplier and I'll bet they can find an off the shelf tip to fit. MIG contact tips aren't that oddball, at least the ones I've seen. Plasma cutter tips, well, that's another story *G*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts