Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question here. I've done some welding on cars before, but it was always with the engine, tranny, and gas tank OUT of the car. I need to replace floor pans and a section of a rear quarter on my 66 coupe. Can this be done safely with everything still in the car?

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Yes. Wear your mask and keep fire extinguishers nearby.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I agree, but I'd probably be paranoid and yank the gas tank; assuming it's less than half full, it's a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I would be a little worried myself. But at worst case, get yourself a couple welding blankets to help cover the delicate items.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Fire would be the least of my worries. Welding sparks can burn holes in seats, carpet, paint, plastic panels, etc. Craig hit the nail on this one with the welding blankets. They are cheap insurance when welding. Just think of all the body shops that daily weld on cars and don't remove anything. They just use welding blankets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone...since I'm doing the floor pans, there won't be anything really to catch fire. I was more worried about the heat around the gas lines and tank.

Dale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts