Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody used the little spot welder from Eastwoods? It looks like one of those hot glue gun things. Works 60 amps and below and plugs into the electrode holder. Thought it might be useful on trunk pans and such.

66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket
order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've had good luck using them and I was only using a small mitey Mite welder along with the spot weld gun. Practice on several different pieces of metal before trying it on the good parts. It does take some finesse but it can leave a nice spot weld. I had to drill mine out to accept the new rods that are thicker. I'm sure the new spot welder has the right size hole in them now. I also mig weld the panels to make sure they are solid.

Good luck and I would also get a nice wire feed mig welder for all your other needs.

Keep those Ponies rolling.. don't crush them!!!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I have the one which you use with a small arc welder - looks like a pistol with an electrode for a barrel. I couldn't get it to spotweld a bracket back on a battery tray but I may not have been getting enought heat.

Or do you mean the unit with the tongs like extensions? I'd like to hear about it from some one who has used it too.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
I have that gun and use the 70 amp arc welder that it came with. I have yet to get a good solid weld that will hold using the gun. It makes a nice looking spot on one side but doesn't make good contact to the second piece. Cranking up the juice just burns through the first piece. I've heard rumors that drilling a small hole in the first piece allows you to make contact with the back piece for a better weld but I haven't tried it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts