Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Napa Gold fuel filter was leaking on my '66. It has a FoMoCo early 70's Carburetor. I was putting on a new Wix filter and the threads broke into the carb. Has anyone else been unfortunate in this and what do you recommend trying to get out the broke off piece?

·
Registered
801 Posts
You could use an Easy-Out to get the busted off threads out. Since it's hollow anyway, this should not be too hard. If things are all boogered up inside somehow, I would get a tap and die set, and put in some Helicoil to repair the threads inside your carb - but hopefully that won't be necessary.

If it is too wide (too "hollow?" and shallow) for an Easy-Out, then try using a bunch of penetrating oil, and a modest sized flathead screwdriver. Drive it into one side of the busted-off threads from the inside until it has a small groove to seat in (use many small taps with a hammer, not big ones) and then try driving it in the direction it needs to turn (counterclockwise). This will take a lot of patience. If you go all "John Henry" on this thing, you might damage the carb itself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you can't use an easy out, find a torx bit that will fit in the hole snugly and tap it in. Many mechanic friends have recommended torx bits over easy outs to me.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Hmmm… An early 70's carburetor would have a tapered NPT thread. You might cut them deeper, but not helicoil.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to Lowe's and bought this and success!!! But now I still have to go to the parts store and buy another filter.

Thanks to you all.

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
When installing your new fuel filter do NOT wrap the threads with teflon tape and don't over-tighten. You're lucky you broke the fuel filter and didn't crack the carburetor main body..... or, if you have a leak that looks like it is where the filter screws in there could already BE cracks there. Look carefully.

·
Registered
790 Posts
When installing your new fuel filter do NOT wrap the threads with teflon tape and don't over-tighten. You're lucky you broke the fuel filter and didn't crack the carburetor main body..... or, if you have a leak that looks like it is where the filter screws in there could already BE cracks there. Look carefully.
Why no teflon tape? Dave R.

·
Registered
10,099 Posts

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
"Why no teflon tape? Dave R."

Because eventually, Pieces of it will find its way into the carb.

That's why.

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts