Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, and I are considering having a well dug on our property.
I called one company so far and the quote they gave me was $20 a foot with a hundred foot minimum, paid up front.
Which translated means we could have a $2000 hole with not water.
If I knew for a fact how far down the water was then I could make a decision.
It looks like the well digging company's should have some sort of device that tells if there is any water, and how deep it is.
Anyone have any input on this? Ive done a google search, etc. Ive searched water location devices, etc. also with no luck......thanks, Mike

·
Registered
268 Posts
You may want to check with your local county courthouse to see if all water wells in your county have to be registered. In my county, the courthouse has a list of wells in the area and how deep they are.

I was quoted $5,000 to put a well on my property based on other wells in the area.

This included all of the necessary parts to get water to my shop.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The local municipality and or geological association will have information about the known depths of aquifers in your area. However, the penetration depth can vary drastically. The technology for drilling for water hasn't changed all that much lately and we don't have xray specs.

My well is 580ft deep IIRC

All you really need to do to get a good estimate is walk over to your closet 2 neighbors and say "How deep is your well?"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just had a new well put in. It is 480 feet deep, new everything, $12,000. Ouch doesn't describe it accurately. The old well went dry and it was 240' deep, cost about $5000 20 years ago.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
$5000 / 20 / 12 = $20.83 per month water bill.

Average water bill in SF for a single family home?

:)

Yeah it sucks to pay it all upfront...but long run it is soooooo much cheaper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
dodgestang said:
$5000 / 20 / 12 = $20.83 per month water bill.

Average water bill in SF for a single family home?

:)

Yeah it sucks to pay it all upfront...but long run it is soooooo much cheaper.

Well is on farmland about an hour outside of SF. It feeds the Nectar of the Gods (grapes). But yeah, looking at it that way, $12k isn't so bad.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Mtrain said:
It looks like the well digging company's should have some sort of device that tells if there is any water, and how deep it is.
There are several well companys in my area. There are/were lots of wells in my area and the severe drought has many,many drying up. If anyone knows personally where the water is at it would be the well pump drillers in your area.

My well at 550 feet is down to pumping 35 gallons in 24 hours. I have resorted to toting water for the time being. I have three 5,000 gallon rainwater catch tanks but they do little good if you are experiencing a severe drought.

Water well drilling in my area is from $6 to $9 a foot. Since my well has a 4.5 inch casing, it can't be drilled deeper. In order to get a well that will last a while it would take a well about 1,000 feet deep. My 2 year old 1.5hp pump that I have now won't work well in a 1000 foot deep well.

I am also weighing my options.

John

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. Man, with the current state of our country I would like to have a well just in case of an emergency, but I dont know if I can swing that kind of money right now.
One way I can cut some corners is to install the pump etc, later. Since this well is going to be for emergency only Ill probably go with a manual hand pump.
Ive got the funds aside for a propane generator, and have already bought enough propane with a huge tank for two years worth of gas. Of course the gas will not last that long if were using a generator.
Ill have to get on the phone with other well diggers in the state as well as a few neighbors that have wells.
Even though I live in a rural area wells are few since there has been city water here for over thirty years.
I guess if there is a choice water would be waaay more essential that electricity, in an emergency...........thanks again for all of the replies, Mike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mtrain said:
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. Man, with the current state of our country I would like to have a well just in case of an emergency, but I dont know if I can swing that kind of money right now.
One way I can cut some corners is to install the pump etc, later. Since this well is going to be for emergency only Ill probably go with a manual hand pump.
Ive got the funds aside for a propane generator, and have already bought enough propane with a huge tank for two years worth of gas. Of course the gas will not last that long if were using a generator.
Ill have to get on the phone with other well diggers in the state as well as a few neighbors that have wells.
Even though I live in a rural area wells are few since there has been city water here for over thirty years.
I guess if there is a choice water would be waaay more essential that electricity, in an emergency...........thanks again for all of the replies, Mike.
If you want it just for emergencies, I'd go with a 5,000 gal tank a little uphill from the house. Here in Northern Cal it takes about $300 to fill it up from a potable water source. It would take a few weeks to use that much water if you are being conservative. Far less expensive than a well and much more certain.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When wells aren't used much, obstructions can develop which then prevent the well from getting you water. Then they have to "blast away" the obstruction(silt,rock,etc) with either high pressure or explosives. If just for emergencies, sounds like the collectors may be better suited to your needs AND more economical.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good ideals, thanks again for the advise, lots to consider.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts