Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the front end on the 67 rebuilt and was happy with the new disc brakes. I haven't had much time though this past month to work on it and to figure out why the brakes were feeling a little soft and why I was having a grinding noise when putting it out into the street. I thought it was a front end piece, maybe a ball joint bad. In actuality it looks like I torqued down the brake caliper too much and the caliper body was rubbing the rotor. I'm waiting for the shop to get it turned for me as I type. I guess those things called torque specs do actually mean something don't they? ::

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. The hammer is coming next ::
I guess it is one of those experience things.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You should be able to torque the caliper mounting bolts until they shear and still not have the caliper body rub the rotor. You must have another problem.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
You should be able to torque the caliper mounting bolts until they shear and still not have the caliper body rub the rotor. You must have another problem.
I was just going to say the same thing. There's something else going on there!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Maybe.

typically there are shims included in the kits to install between the caliper mountin bracket and the spindle to create the proper amount of gap between the caliper arm between both sides where it goes over the rotor for clearance.

The caliper should never touch the rotor if it is clearanced and installed properly.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with the others. The torque specs are a function of the tensil strength of the bolt. It is to tell you when you have the bolt tight enough so you don't either get it too loose and have the part fall off, or have the bolt shear off because you got it too tight.

About the only parts I can think of that are effected by the torque of the bolt holding it, are the bands on automatic transmissions and front hub nuts.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I did the whole front end(including brakes) rebuild pretty much from scratch. I bought the mountung brackets from one company and the rotors and calipers from a local parts store and the mounting bolts came from a hardware store. So no shims there. All I had was zero experience and a crude drawing from a shop manual. I wanted to proudly say that I did this with only my dad's help. But I got everything back together a little while ago after the rotor was turned and everything seems to fit ok. Chalk one up to experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts