Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys may rememeber my post a few weeks ago..

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums...rue#Post1331572

I was deciding whether to do the conversion myself or have it done... we'll I've decided to **try** it myself and see where I get. Hopefully I'll get a lot of free time during the holidays this month to work on it. I can't wait to see this thing show up in my driveway!

Jay

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
i think you will happy with the decision to do it yourself.
just take your good ole time at it.
im done with mine except for the drive shaft, cant find anyone around these parts that will balance it after cutting it. so i guess ill go with a new one.
im old as dirt and havent changed a tranny since about 1968 or so.....just remember the naps in between. and throw some extra protection under there just in case.
like some extra cement blocks or wheels with tires as a backup or whatever you have. Ive got mine up on jac stands and leave the jac in the up position and an extra jac stand at the front and one at the rear as backups to the 4 main stands.
maybe you have a lift?
i had good luck using my hyd jack and made a wooden perch with 2 slats to hold the tranny as i let the old one down and used it to hold and jac the new one up in there, a rubber bungie wrapped around it held it on the jac...
needless to say, had no helpers around at the time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You won't regret it!

·
Registered
493 Posts
im just a young little 20 year old kid... If i can figure out the swap myself, then you will breeze through it. Dont cheep out on a flywheel like i did. Tried to get one on ebay, was incorrectly ballanced... After the first night out, i got home at about 12:45 am, tired and upset from the engine vibration, i woke up with my credit card sitting next to my computer... I guess i must have ordered a new ballanced billet steel flywheel before i fell asleep... oops :p I got the pleasure of pulling the tranny back out, and having a go at it the following weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Wayne,
Just saw your post about getting the driveshaft balance after cutting. I had mine shortened when I did the swap and don't think it was rebalanced afterward. Does it have to be!?
I assume I'd notice a big vibration when driving or on the hwy if it was not balanced right?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Wayne,
Where are you at in Ohio? I know of a couple places that can cut and balance driveshafts in Akron and Cleveland. PM me if you want information.
Jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the kit from Dark Horse Performance in Washington... there's no sales tax for me and shipping was "only" $100. A couple things are backordered but hopefully they'll get here in a timely fashion. They seem like a small shop, one or two people run the whole place. It's nice to support the small guys but hopefully they won't disappoint in any way... I'll keep you guys updated if you want..

Jay

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm going to make some sort of simple cradle for one of my jacks to accept a transmission... then I'll strap it down somehow. I'm already mentally prepared to have a transmission fall on me at some point while I'm under this thing.

I always keep a jack or two fully extended and barely touching just in case the stands give way. The stands never budge but this time I'll be wrenching on bolts pretty hard (not just an oil change) so I'll be doing some kind of back up support that will keep me safe under there..

"or maybe I have a lift"... ha, ha, ha... I wish!

Jay

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did the swap and borrowed a set of ramps for the front and used a good jack to hold and then lower the trans. Don't forget that the fluids usually come out the rear shaft when you tilt it.
A simple trick my uncle showed me was to go and get a couple of long grade 8 bolts the same size as the ones you remove. Use the longer bolts to align the trans. and help you pop it back up. Once the dowels are in it is easy, put the correct bolts on and the rest is straight forward.
I had to shorten my drive shaft close to an inch but ask how to measure before you cut it and yes balance it.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Did you get the complete kit or will you source some of the items yourself? I plan on supplying my own T5, flywheel, and bellhousing but I'll get everything else from DH. So far they have been a pleasure to work with. Soon as I win me a clutch pedal, I'll be ready to roll on the rest of the stuff. Keep us posted on your progress. :highfive:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts