Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into the paint shop the last wk of may, was told i would have it in max of 2 wks. Well here it is almost aug and car not yet painted ! ::
So I try to be very nice to my paint man and ask him if there's anything I can do to help move this project along, no he says and then he says by the way the car needs to be stripped down to the bare metal as the current 4 layers of paint is chipping and peeling very bad and yes i agree.
so he says ok were on it tonite and you'll have it in 7 days, yahoo great.
well here we sit 2 wks later and I stop to check on progress and what do I see but the car half stripped and he's got it stuffed in the back of the shop !
Well now it's to late to take else where and it looks like my summer with the car is history !
What realy burns me is he said he had nothing else but mine to do when i brought it in.
I have joined the many who have had this experience and don't like it one bit ! ::

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I know the feeling. I disagree though on the "it's too late to take it outa there" statement. You can take your car whenever you see fit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Gary, I would go get your car. This guy seems like a real loser. He clearly did not hold up his time frame to get the car done. Before you move it line up another paint man. Sorry about your troubles. Take care, Dawn

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Keep in mind for most body shops, especially the better ones our cars (full jobs) are generally taken as filler work. My car was at the shop for nearly 2 years before it was done. When the quick money comes in, the slow money gets pushed aside.

Only other way is to go to a shop that is specifically tailored to full cars and restorations, but then you will pay BIG $$$.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I totally agree with Jay.. My body man even told that to me... He LOVES doing this restoration work, especially on Mustangs, but it just doesn't pay the money that insurance stuff does... he said he'd ahve to put mine aside when those came in (because he was gauranteed $50 an hour from the insurance folks) and then get back to it when he could... that kept my rate at $35 an hour... _IF_ I wanted it done on time and as quickly as other things, he could do mine... but he'd have to charge me $50 an hour, just like everything else...

I think everyone else is over-reacting... it's part of the game. (Unless he's a restoration shop and does ONLY that... then you've got a legitimate beef)

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If you do pull the car, be aware that you likely can be charged for the work already done it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think that I would go to the paint shop and calmly explain to the owner that he has broken several promises to you. Then tell him that you must have the car finished within two weeks, or you are coming to get it, and do not intend to pay anything for the work already done if it's not finished.

I know from running my own business, that the one who complains the most gets their job done first. It should not be that way, but it's a fact of life. ::

I agree that most body shops make thier money from insurance work, but unless the guy warned you that your job would be put aside for insurance work, there is no legitimate excuse for that long a delay. A business owner has an obligation to communicate truthfully with a customer.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It's your car. I would go there and pick it right up. They probably wouldn't do a good job on it anyway. Sounds like they do mostly insurance work. If there is a car club in your area, get with some of the members who have had their cars painted. They can usually recommend a reputable paint shop.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Max of two weeks?? Did you get that in writing?

( like I ask for things in writing :eek:)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I think most of us have been there, I have!
If you rush them, then they'll try to get it out in 3 days.... The paint job will reflect the lack of labor involved. If you pick it up, It'll be tough to find a shop that'll want to finish someone else's job.
Summer is a busy time for body shops and auto insurance folks, people are driving more, having more wrecks, more "bread and butter" for the body shops.

I would back off a little, maybe drop by twice a week to check on the car, drop a hint that you'd like to see some progress each week.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i agree with the others,get your baby outta there!!!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Plumb,

Back in the day, I had a 70 Firebird I was restoring, had the motor out and took it to the paint shop (highly recommended by a co-worker, first mistake) on the other end of the world, guy says "Oughta be done in a couple of weeks!"

The following weekend , DFW was hit by the worst hail storm in history!

Long story short, motor came back, had to take it to the paint shop to drop it in...6 months and $3000 later I got the car back! Paint looked great tho, almost made it worth the wait!

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
There is a very distinct problem with the tactic proposed. It may get the job done, but quality is just about guaranteed to suffer for it. It also gives the shop owner an "out" for the shoddy work, since you rushed the job.

Getting a car stripped and painted is at least a month, more likely three or four. It is a reality. Not a particularly happy reality, but a reality.

G

·
0 Posts
My story is even more sad.

After they took forever, about a year, to finish my car. I found out I have leaks all over the place and because that's the only car I have right now, I haven't been able to go back and get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Heres my question, If you took the car there in May, and you go back in late July and he say the car needs to be stripped, what did he do for the last 2 months, anything at all? Ive been in and out of the autobody field for 16 years and I see shops like this all the time. Yes I agree the insurance jobs are money makers and do get pushed ahead of completes but a reputable shop should make that clear upfront.. Ive seen many many shops that will take on a job even though they know they dont have the time and then will proceed to spend an hour or two sanding and/or stripping areas on the car to make it look like progress is being made and to prevent the owner from taking it. Youre just another victim of this game IMO..If it were mine Id show up with a trailer and prepare to take it. A word of advice to anyone looking for complete repaints.. Get EVERTHING in writing, including a projected finish date and NEVER EVER say youre in no rush, or take your time.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
This is so frustrating, whether it is paint and body, interior, or mechanical work. If the shop is going to use my car for filler work, or is waiting for one part to work on my car, tell me up front. Don't give me a timeline, without telling me about the possibility of delays. And when there are delays, cause we all know that stuff happens, call me. Don't make me call or e-mail several times just trying to find out what is going on.

I don't know anybody that minds waiting if the shop makes an effort.

What does the shop say about the delay? Would they allow you to help strip the car? If they weren't at least trying to work with me, and keep me informed, I would pick up the car.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think the promise of "max 2 weeks" is entirely forgivable since it has now been decided to strip to bare metal. One's first reaction is to take it home and find another shop, but they will just be as bad to deal with. If you can't find another bodyman who works out of his own shop, you will still be dealing with the same problems.

I'd keep checking with the shop 2-3 times a week, reminding them how you've been pretty patient with their unkept promises, but that there is a firm deadline. Make the deadline realistic, but well before you actually need to get the car out so it will be finished by somebody else before the summer is over. If you take the car away, you will be paying them for work already performed, and probably at a higher rate, since they won't get to finish the job. They are entitled to be paid for time spent prepping the car.

I would also do as others have suggested, and check with local car clubs (doesn't have to be Mustang). They often know of people who do fantastic work in a small shop, and don't cater to insurance jobs.

Best of luck in gettng the car done in a timely manner.

G

·
0 Posts
After being into Mustangs for fun and learning how to do most of the work myself, I realized that "the hobby" evolved into a business, or rather people where coming to my shop to pay me to work on "there" car.
The Mustang business evolved into a business of several facets. Light mechanical (brake jobs), heavy mechanical (engine rebuilds), basic, but skilled bodywork, all over refurshments (I tend to shy away from that "restoration word"). Paint jobs, selling new parts, selling used parts. Personal service (opening the shop on Sunday just to sell a guy a $30- part that he can't get today from MU for $24- and there 180 miles away). Free tech line (should be a 1-900 #) . Number of phone calls recieved a week 150-200. Birthdays missed, skip Christmas with the Family so the customer doesn't sue you (Definately don't like the "S" word). Dates forgotten. And then to top it of the guy that says,"I coulda done it myself if I had the tools".
It would probably be good if you went by his shop about once a week to check on the progress, and even call before you go over there and ask him if he would like for you to pick him up a hamburger or a Coke...
Be sure not to upset him though. Remember he is a Craftsman and an Artist of a sort. He needs his space. He doesn't need the phone ringing all of the time. E-mail is not a good idea.
Weather, Family, Everything effects the course of an hour, a day, a week, a month, a year.
Yesterday I logged some time on one of my customers cars and got in some "good" work time. I thought that I had worked on it just last week. turns out it was July 4th when I worked on it last. (What was I doing at the Shop on the 4th) what where you doing on the 4th.
I personally am looking forward to semi-retirement.(A 40 hour work week) OR maybe I'll turn off the phone and go to a closed shop format. Would I get to work on MY Mustang then ?
Be patient with the guy. You wouldn't have taken it to him in the first place if you didn't trust him, and when he says/said two weeks, maybe he was hoping he could have worked on it two weeks.

There will be a day when it will be hard to find anyone willing to "fool" with old cars. G

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actualy knew in my heart this was never going to be a shrot term deal, they never are ! I also am in business and fully understand the pressure he is under to complete what he has to keep the customer ( Happy ) I also understand all the money pressures he probably is having because this is his first yr in business and he needs to make the real money while he can.
He has and excellent reputation and thats the reason i brought it to him, so I bite my tounge and only say to him , ok do what you can.
Taking it to another body/paint shop will do no good as they are all very busy and I highy doubt they will jump right on it.
I remember when I first started my business yrs ago, I went thru the same thing he is now experiencing, so I have to forgive him and know it will be worth the wait.
Quality workmanship is worth the wait, for me. I/m not happy with it but I'll wait .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts