Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After retiring 22 months ago I thought about going back to work and submitted some resume's to different telecom companies. At that time AT&T and Sprint started their layoffs and the market became saturated with unemployed network engineers and installers. After over a year since submitting a resume to a Dallas based company I was contacted last Tuesday and was scheduled for a interview this Monday(tomorrow). I was contacted Wednesday and asked if I could travel to some sites around this area and make some repairs to their systems. They overnighted some spare parts and I worked Thursday and Friday. I had the interview cancelled for tomorrow and have more service calls to make. I am now working for a man I haven't met and am enjoying the work. (shucks, I almost would have paid them for letting me work). Now I'll have more Mustang funds.
Considering that I had never been unemployed since I turned 17 years old retirement felt good to brag about but kinda sucked...
I think I'm gonna stay until they throw me out. Wish me luck....

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i work for sprint here in va. we certainly lost some people and prob many more to come im afraid..we now contract back alot of the retirees on a when i need you basis. 1 good thing about that and also the same for you is you are now in the drivers seat. thats a good feeling. they start dumping on you-out the door. im no where near that nice option ive got alot of years in, still long ways to go though. later

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Retirement is not all it's cracked up to be, is it? Not that I have personal knowledge of having been retired.

Heck, I get bored over a long weekend. I am going to have to develop some serious hobbies (other then cars) if I ever want to be a successful retiree.

Numismatics and philately are pretty dull. I like coins and stamps, but can't get too involved in them.

Woodworking would be great fun. I'd love to do some turning and maybe make those little artsy boxes and stuff. The exotic woods are very interesting to me. Purple Heart, Zebra wood, the various burles; all of them are quite lovely.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have a friend that worked in maintenence for 20 some-odd dollars an hour, at the same semi-conductor plant that I work at on nights. He was hired by a equipment manufacture. One week later he was back at the plant as a Rep. working on the same piece of equipment for $150 an hour.

If you are doing this kind of contract work you are in fat city!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I went out on retirement I was 46. I thought to myself that I would have a lot of time to get things done on the vert and other projects. I wound up working on other peoples vehicles to earn a meager living and haven't had time to do my own stuff. I am really back in my element now and didn't realize how much I missed it. I would think had I put in 8 hours a day on the vert it would have become work instead of a hobbly and probably would have quit fooling with it..
Now I can quit working on other vehicles and get back to the Mustang...

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I completely understand what you mean. When I worked on cars for a living my own cars got no attention.

I don't have to worry about retirement for a while yet anyhoo.

We make work so much a part of who we are in the USofA that when a person stops working they feel that they are no longer contributing. We should fix that.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Weird isn't it that people you have never met will send you lots of money??? I have been doing that for years! If you are an employee they won't pay you much. If you are contractor they will. If you are local they won't pay you much, if they pay your travel expenses they will pay you lots more! Kind of hard to uinderstand those attitudes....

The problem with staying home and working on the cars is that any time I am home it is either 90-100 degrees out, snowing or raining! I am not sure I would like to work on the cars all by myself. I kind of work now to meet new people and see new places!!

When I do retire I plan to travel..... And see the country and the world I never got a chance to see!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Travelling was my intent also. I have the truck, the travel trailer to pull and everything needed. Right after retiring my wife and I went to Orlando, since then we have been to Texas a couple of times and the rest of the time has been travel to pick up Mustang parts.
If you want to travel be sure you do it as there will be something that will try to interfere, gauarenteed...
I will be doing a lot of travelling with this job and the wife will be able to make some of the trips...Life is getting better all the time...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts