Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Well, I'm switching to silicone...(brake fluid)

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  1965Coupe 
#1 ·
I decided to switch to silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid because I don't want regular brake fluid eating my paint. I am using new brake lines but I won't be using new wheel cylinders or hoses (less than 8 months old- plus i haven't driven the car for 6 months).
Here are my questions:
How do I flush out the wheel cylinders and hoses before using the new fluid?

Is 12 ounces of fluid enough for a '65 with a '67 master cylinder?

And if you wan't to know where to get silicone fluid:
NAPA- $10.88 for 12 ounces.

#3 ·
I have used DOT 5 for 10 years and had zero problems with it. My brake pedal are as firm as if I used another type of brake fluid.

I much prefer the safety of using silicone over dot 3 or 4. Dot 3 and Dot 4 are hydroscopic which means they absorb moisture which causes brake line and caliper rusting from the inside. Personally, I think all types of brake fluid require periodic bleeding. The big advantage of Dot 5 is that it will not harm paint if spilled. To me that is a significant advantage.

I don't know what that fellows credentials are but I would not rely on his word alone.

To answer the original question, simply flush out the lines well with alcohol and then flush out with the Dot 5.

#4 ·
<I decided to switch to silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid because I don't want regular brake fluid eating my paint>

If you do not pour the brake fluid on the painted surface it will not do any harm.
Silicone fluid still absorbs water from the air, but unlike regular fluid the water does not mix with the fluid. Instead it falls to the lowest point of the system where it pools, like in the calipers....Now when you realy need to lock those babies up the water boils and lo and behold NO BRAKES.
No car unless it is never driven, you know like a trailer queen, should have silicone brake fluid in it. No racing sanctioning body approves it and no hi performance brake manufacturer recommends it, it also is not used by any of the OEM's
You be the judge.

#6 ·
I am a little confused about this subject. First of all, nobody pours brake fluid on their paint jobs on purpose. It is usually an accident. If the heat of breaking in a panic stop boils out collected water in the calipers, wouldn't the heat generated in everyday driving tend to "boil" out the minute quantities that would tend to collect over time. I may be wrong, but I believe the advantages of silicone brake fluid far outway the disadvantages. I have used it for years, and I have had excellent luck with it. It's cost is probably its most prohibitive feature. Pour some in a glass jar with no lid on it, place it on a shelf, and see how long it takes for it to absorb enough water to where you can see it on the bottom of the jar. If it seeks the lowest place, that is where it will be, on the bottom of the jar.

#7 ·
Well... did the guy that wrote that spend days stripping and painting my engine compartment? Think of where the fluid will spill if it does happen to leak out of the MC- on my freshly painted steering column, steering box, and frame rail. I have put too much time and money into my car to worry about brake fluid spilling. Everybody has an opinion but I have heard many good things about DOT 5 fluid. If my brakes do fail I have a dual MC to help out.

#8 ·
I don't purposely pour the fluid on my paint- sometimes it just happens to spill or leak out of the MC. Also-I never said I will be racing the car, and I do plan on bleeding the brakes annualy (which will be easier since I won't have to worry about spilling brake fluid). BTW- why would they sell brake fluid that is not safe???

#9 ·
I think that if you have brake fluid leaking out your m/c and eating your paint, you have WAY worse problems to come than a little paint peeling!

I was just forwarding information that I found useful...

#10 ·
Sorry I was rude about that... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I never know when I might accidentally spill fluid while pouring it in to the master cylinder. I am going to try the silicone fluid for a month and see how it works. If I don't like the feel of the pedal I am going to switch back to DOT 3 or 4 (i will flush the system). It is just going to kill me when I get a paint chip, much less peeling. Thanks for sending the info BTW. I'll let you know what happens. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.