Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of screwing around with these dang stock wheel housings. I raised them an inch for more tire height, and well I'm just not happy. So, I ran down to S&W Racecars last night and bought some 36" steel tubs!! That'll fix it!!
Also picked up a drain plug and filler for the 9".

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
well tubs should do the trick!!... should have no clearence probs at all!! good luck with your project jace

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks jace.I've been screwing around with this part of the project for too long. Heck, the car ain't original anyway.
Did you see the license plate hanging in my parking area? www.longbros.com/richjr/MM.html

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just the stripe colors give it all away!!
I appreciate the offer for help. First thing to do is finish both 1/4's. Then , I have a question, S&W 's instrutions for the steel tubs reccomend bendind tabs down on the outer end, and welding the tabs to the 1'4. I've read other instructions that say to leave a 1/8 inch gap and "glue" it with a silicone sealer. The fear is that welding the tabs might cause the tack welds to "pop" out due to flex and show through on the paint. Do you have any experience with this aspect?
Thanks, Pat.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Do you have any experience with this aspect?

hehe...yes I do as I built or rebuilt the entire car. You can read more about it here.

The tubs were fitted and riveted to the frame and body support stanchions. There is no physical connection between the tubs and the outer body. I used a bead of silicone on the top and bottom of the tub. It's held up well over the years. I never get smoke in the car, even on long burnouts.

I also completely reshaped the rear fenderwell lips, using some steel tubing, fiberglass and filler. No cracking at all over 20+ years and lots of abuse.

Post questions as they come to mind or PM me. I'm busy in the shop right now (reason I'm not posting much) but I can fit in a few answers here and there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts