Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor is [censored].

Knock is still there now that I got it out of the garage and actually sounded like it was getting progressive worse for the 60 seconds I had the motor running. I shut it down and pushed it back into the garage.

I am completely and utterly disgusted with it.

I checked a few more little things out that could have been the cause of the noise, but they weren't. No loosebolts on DT so no easy fix for me.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
A loose or cracked flexplate and/or loose torque converter will cause a noise similar to a bearing knock.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very sorry to hear that.Got a problem of my own,fired mine up yesterday,Between the
valleypan and the blower intake,theres about an inch,Ive got coolant coming from underthere.
Maybe a gasket,but my luck...A cracked head or intake.Oh well.Well fix em and come back another day.
Good luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
That definitly SUCKS !! Hopefully it's just a spun rod bearing. Not that spun bearings are a good thing mind you. But it did'nt hurt your pistons and other internal components. Let it sit for a while, maybe a month or two till the bad taste is gone. Then yank the engine determine the prob (hopefully just a crank and a rod) and your good as new. I know this probably is not helping but it could of been worse.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
What was the last idle oil pressure reading before shutting the engine down for good? It appears, from a photograph from a previous post, that you might have a steel crankshaft in your stroker. Is this the case? If so, is it tufftrided? With the engine in the car, you can pull the caps and observe condition and measure sizes.

Once you've passed the stage of wanting to light the car on fire, check some stuff out and get back to us...

Sorry about your problem!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Hey Nick,
Really sorry to hear about DT. I hope you can
get it fixed soon. Good luck buddy.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yes very sorry :( :(

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Save your investment....pull it, take it down, and make everything good to go.

We hit detours......cant get the time back, but we can gain from the experience!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
hang in there... my car lost oil pressure, it has almost ZERO at idle in traffic right now...we are pulling it paart to change the oil pump in hopes that the problem is simple and that everything on the bottom end is Ok still..

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Once you've passed the stage of wanting to light the car on fire, check some stuff out and get back to us...
I'm sorry to hear your motor is not well. However, I must say, Pat's great! His comment just brought a vivid picture of Beavis and Butthead lighting your car on 'the word the lawyers say we can't say anymore'...
http://members.tripod.com/~foodgodbb/b_b11.jpg

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Fuel Pump eccentric did that on our 302. I forgot (doofus) to put loc-tight on the cam sprocket retaining bolt. 2 weeks later that bolt started to back out and slip the eccentric. Made a horrible knock.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
sorry to hear Nick. :(
DT just wants another large infusion of $$$$ that`s all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts