Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The well liner I ordered is very different from the one I removed because my car had a glass back window in it. I went to the plastic window, so I guess this short liner is somehow supposed to protect the top from the trunk? In addition to not being able to get the correct springs to hold it, and there not being any screw holes or grommets for the springs, I am not understanding the positioning of this "liner".

I need a few good pics that show up under the rear deck and how this liner does its job.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CharlesTurner said:
The well liner should have a metal rod in the exposed seam in the trunk, which the well liner springs attach to. Should be some pics of this is my GT at www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert
Thanks, Charles. I didn't see any that got up under the deck far enough to see what I need, though. I'm also having some trouble getting the scews to go through the material without biting into it and twisting around the holes. Can I just use a little "lubricant" of some kind to let the screws work their way through?

Got any idea where I can get correct springs? The Scott Drake version isn't even close.

G

·
0 Posts
Are the holes already made for the screws? If so, you need to use an awl to poke a hole through the material and into the hole before installing the screws.

I seem to remember Virginia Mustang selling the correct well-liner screws. They have online ordering at www.vamustang.com

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Charles, the well liner seems to be a source of confusion for many Mustang vert
owners. My '68 has the original well liner (I don't claim that's unusual).
The lip/edge that is screwed to tack strip has a black plastic strip sewn into
the folded over edge. I've heard the repo well liners don't have this strip.
My Ford shop manual indicates some details of the well liner are different depending
on if the backlite is glass or plastic. Am I misreading this?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Charles, I realize construction details changed with model year, within the year etc.
My '68 well liner has the same type of black plastic strip sewn to the lower
trunk edge rather than the steel rod/wire. That plastic strip has holes punched
in it for the four springs.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is another Scott Drake piece (no further comment). It has no holes for the screws, no cable, no rod, holes, grommets or reinforcement for the springs. There is something like nylon strap between the layers at the "front" and "back" edges.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
As I'm sure you noticed when you put the new top on...the metal tack strips are
slotted for adjustment. If you reused those strips the holes in the well
liner probably wouldn't line up. I used my original tack metal strips and
the original well liner. Had to re punch some of the holes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts