Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting a vibration around 3000 rpm, I was wondering if I got a defective flywheel or clutch. Anyways I decided to replace both flywheel and clutch. I used a ford racing flywheel and a king cobra clutch from ford racing.

What a difference, I left some skid marks in front of the shop. My car revs very easy, and it has a lot more power. I was shifting between 5500 and 6000rpms and I still getting more power. Geez I think I really work up this motor when I did the converison.

This converison is a thumbs up in my book.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
shifting between 5500 and 6000rpms and I still getting more power
Those 6000 RPM shifts are fun.... right up until a rod shoots out the side of the block. But I'm with you, 5.0 motors are cheap enough that I can change one out a few times a year.

Light'em up and enjoy those shift points!

Dave

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Dave,
Very cool. So you think it was the flywheel?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Way to go Dave...only 6000? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
shifting between 5500 and 6000rpms and I still getting more power
Those 6000 RPM shifts are fun.... right up until a rod shoots out the side of the block. But I'm with you, 5.0 motors are cheap enough that I can change one out a few times a year.

Light'em up and enjoy those shift points!

Dave
Spun my 289 to 7200 that I had in a fox body with a 5 speed. ARP rod bolts and main studs goes a long way :)

I shifted at 7,000 but it would hit 7,200 all the time before the shift was complete. 302's don't like the RPM because it puts a heavy load on the skirts of the piston. If you ever had a stock 302 you beat the tar out of, you'd likely find cracked or missing skirts when you take it apart.

Wasted a 302 doing just that, bore was egg shaped from the missing skirt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts