Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every 3 weeks or so, my wife goes to take care of her parents, so I am alone for meals for the weekend. Sometimes I go to a nationwide steak house chain, not Outback, but something more Texas. Anyway, in speaking to the waitress, I apologized for not hearing well over the background noise, due to time with Uncle Sam, and she mentioned her husband is currently in Iraq. We chatted a bit, and when the bill came, the manager had applied a Veteran's Discount, and a $20 gift card, thanking Veterans. I was already using a $20 card from Veterans Day, and the meal was only $18, so I gave the waitress the last $2 plus a $5 tip.

Well fast forward, I went there again this weekend, and same result. $18 meal after discount, paid for it with the $20 Veterans card, and got ANOTHER $20 gift card. I am coming out ahead, except for leaving the waitress a very nice tip. I don't believe this is normal at this Texas chain, as another one does not do it, but whatever.

I appreciate the gesture.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I was just telling an old friend today...Vietnam Veteran, volunteer fire fighter, former Reserve Deputy, and Church servant... that ANYBODY that serves this country honorably to preserve my freedoms and help establish freedom in place of tyranny should get a lifetime concealed carry permit at no cost. I realize Veterans do get some assistance that others don't, but we ALL enjoy things their service provides and most take that for granted. EVERY DAY IS VETERANS' DAY.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Always great to hear these things. I always feel weird about the thank you’s and what not, but glad that folks appreciate vets.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sorry but a free lunch will not remove the damage done nor will a thank you for serving.
To many of us were unwillingly drafted into a lie and then spat on and worse when returning from said lie.
Follow that up with poor to no treatment for service rendered and there is much more needed than most will give.

·
Just some guy
20,027 Posts
Well that was a wild swing from positive to negative.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a positive post.

If you are off your meds and feeling like a papa bear in a bad mood, please refrain from posting and delete your posts because they are political in nature which is prohibited and will get this thread deleted.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Before this gets locked down, Mustangerbob1 and the rest of us vets, whether we were drafted or volunteered, earned that occasional free lunch; be it a box of C rations, an MRE pouch, or a steak lunch at some Texas branded steakhouse. And I would do it again willingly.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Yep, it was a travesty how vets were treated after Vietnam. Fortunately things have changed and we’re much better to our troops regardless of the legitimacy of the circumstances. They weren’t the ones who made the decision however right or wrong, but they were the ones to suffer the consequences. They’re more than deserving of any form of recognition they get today. Wish I could say I had the cahones to join.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts