30 GB Hard Drive

384 MB Memory

32 MB Video Memory

DVD/CD-RW

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

3.5 hour battery

JBL speakers

etc., etc., etc...

Thank you everyone for replying to my previous post. This computer is awesome and is a lot better then our 500 MHz AMD desktop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have had too many problems with the AMD on our desktop. I wanted the Pentium 4 because it is the newest thing on the market and it is perfect for movies, games, etc. I really wanted a Pentium so I don't have anything to complain about! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
500 MHz, I assume your talkinga bout a K-6 2? Well, they had millions of problems..... however, the new Athlon design is much faster, and has almost no problems. The pentium 4 when first released was worse then the K-6 2. I build and repair computers for an income, and I only recommend the Athlon to my customers. I am sure the pentium 4 is fine for everyday use, but I would never own one. Here is a benchmark comparing the 2 processors......

http://home1.gte.net/res00w92/com/avp.gif

You will notice a Pentium 4, with 200 more MHz still can't keep up with an Athlon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh well! Too late now /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I like having 1 computer with an AMD and 1 with a Pentium. The only computers with AMDs that Costco had were priced about $500 less. I figure you pay more for better so I assumed this computer is better. This computer has a lot more options compared to the AMD laptops. So far I would not change a thing about it. Plus with a Pentium 4 you get a cool little sticker that says "Pentium 4" ! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif And Intel Inside has cool TV commercials!

·
Registered
923 Posts
We go to Costco and I had a long talk with the store manager here at Southlake Tx. I was asking about the warrantee and he said that if your ever dissatisfied with the product return it.
My question was So if it breaks, or gives me a problem 2 years from now I can return it? He said YES.
So try the computer for a couple of weeks and if your not happy with it return it and use the credit towards a new laptop.
I really questioned him about this. And he was firm on his return policy. If your unhappy with it return it for a credit.
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wise choice getting the Pentium. Stay away from the AMD's
too many incompatability woes. Yes they benchmark faster but thats not real world usage. I have both and the Pentium is faster in the everyday apps that you will run. I run both Win2000 and XP Professional on the laptops . Both very good with XP taking a slight edge.

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
Changing operating systems on a laptop is not recommended, and here's why:
There are a number of proprietary drivers and software specifically designed for that particular laptop model. Wiping the hard disk and starting over means that you will have a set of generic computer drivers, and your laptop will not run as efficiently as it can. This is particularly true for battery recharging.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sounds like a sweet system. Those P4M's were making great numbers on performance benchmarks too.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I have been running XP for quite some while now and find that it is much more stable than Win2K ever was. It has much better hardware support as well.

Why do you feel the Win2K is a better platform?

Before you ask, yes, I have XP on my laptop(s) and desktop(s) both.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The only experience I have with XP is at work, and out of the 15 or 20 new Dell machines we have set up with the OEM version of XP all but 5 have failed. Mainly seems to be memory problems, XP has lousy memory management. In my experience 2000 is much more stable however I do agree that hardware support has been slow in coming. I have a 2000 based server that hasn't needed a restart in over 6 months, and this machine gets hammered day in and day out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't trust the OEM software load out the box anymore. I have had too many computers that have had problems right out of the chute. Laptops can be tricky and you do need to ferret out the special drivers for your particular machine, but they are all available from the manufacturers web sites (if you buy a name brand machine anyway).

I recommend a clean install for every machine weather laptop or desktop. For fun, next time you buy a new computer check the drive with Norton or scandisk and see if you get errors. You may be surprised.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I feel your pain, man.

We have predominantly Win2K at work, but the entire IS staff has been running XP since beta2. It has been generally more stable than Win2K, even on the Dell systems. You do have to stay on top of the updates and patches from both Dell and Microsoft though.

XP is an absolute wonder on a laptop though. That is where is really shines, as odd as that seems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts