Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a full restore on my 69 coupe w/ a 302 4 years ago - and i've now crossed 6,000 miles on the dash, and my rear tires are already pretty bald. (fronts are still fine)
I'd rotate them... but front tire grip is more important to me than rear - as the tire is the weak point in my stopping ability.

They are Nitto INVO 245/45/R17 95Z on a 17x8 rim
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QL6PEO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only commuted in the car - so thats pretty bad wear millage wise IMO. (granted... I was doing a lot of mini launches from stop lights trying to dial in my EFI)

They weren't a fantastic tire either - but I'd like to stick with a performance oriented tire (for the braking reasons mentioned)

I'd actually like to get a little taller tire - for softer ride - but cant seem to find a performance tire thicker than a 45 for my size.

looking at the Michel PILOT SPORT 4S - 245/45ZR17 - I can get for $800
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=445YR7PS4SXL&tab=Sizes

anyone have any experience with these?

·
Premium Member
12,964 Posts
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S

Since you are commuting , are you considering an all-season tire ? I'm using these BFG COMP 2 A/S tires (in an 18" size) on my '02 Jaguar XKR. They are doing very well, especially For the A/S designation. Bought them in Jan 2018, so far I've got 16,000 miles on them . Not even close to halfway worn out.

I'm hitting the curves fairly aggressively when on 2 lane roads, and am cruising @ 75-85 mph on the highways. They are very confidence inspiring. Just to see if it was functional, I once checked the electronic speed restrictor which limits the maximum speed to 155 mph. It works sort of (it didn't kick in until 162).

Z

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the PS4s on my WRX before the current tires. Used them for daily driving and autocross. I was not a huge fan. Initially the grip was awesome but also I was coming from performance (but still crappy) all seasons. They rolled over a ton at autocross and they wore out quick. I'm now running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. I like them a lot better... much stiffer sidewall and they seem like they will last a good bit longer. Handling is great but I also got a custom alignment when I got the new tires so that is definitely a factor.

Not sure how well that translates to commuting in a classic Mustang, but there ya go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have these on my '12 Boss 302 and am very happy with them. I can't exactly help you on the daily commuter wear factor since I track the car. Road racing/HPDE is different than autox for sure, but i did not experience any roll over or faster than normal wear. They provided a tremendous increase in grip over the much more expensive Pirellis that were on the car...higher Gs in the corner and later braking point into corners. They are not all seasons, but i have driven them in light snow a couple of times and the car did not catastrophically explode. I would buy them again for the Boss. The 4s is also the replacement for the vaunted pilot supersport tire and came out a little over a year ago.

·
Registered
193 Posts
also, since you're in LA, i would not consider an all season tire. You would compromise too much performance for characteristics you will likely never need in your area.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I put a set of BFGoodrich GForce Comp2 A/s on 17x8 Torque Thrust II's. Chose those because it will be a Florida car and after lots of conversations with Tire Rack they strongly recommended them. They are classified as an Ultra Performance All Season tire. Unfortunately I am months away from driving so I can't help with how they ride or wear.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS&partnum=245WR7GFC2ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=1966&autoModel=Mustang%205-Lug&autoModClar=&wtpackage=true<style></style><style></style>

·
Registered
3,060 Posts

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I just installed a set of the PS 4S' on my BRZ last week replacing the stock low performance Primacy hp's that came from the factory. I was looking for a performance tire with a lower fatigue factor (noise and harshness). They rated highly at Tire Rack. Significantly less tire noise and harshness over expansion strips on the freeway but I've only got about 100 miles on them so far so my experience is too light for me to offer a definitive opinion at this point.

Speaking of Bridgestone RE71's, I had a set of the original soft compound ones that came from the factory on my Carrera 2 in 1990, I wore through a set of those in about 10K miles of street driving, no track time or other tire shredding antics. The second set about the same. I then switched to Dunlop SP8000's and they provided nearly double the treadwear with comparable handling characteristics

It seems that tire technology and advancements are coming at such a fast pace, today's top rated tires will be "also-rans" when it comes time to replace them in a few years.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have Continental ExtremeContact Sport DW's on my 94 Cobra track car with race suspension and they are highly effective and have tons of grip. They also have a good tread wear rating and good price.

Ha- I have terrible timing. Just saw you bought some already.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I think you'll be happy. I love my Super Sports, which replaced my PS2's. I even drove home on a flat without realizing it, and there was no damage to the tire. It only had 5 PSI or less in it, on the rear of my ~ 2950# Boxster. I realized it when I took a turn and almost slewed into the weeds :eek:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
update:

got em on - super happy with them!

braking is improved significantly - also turning feels more solid
they do ride a tiny bit firmer.

Now to double check the settings on that EFI....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts