Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still not certain if I'm sold on it. The folks were quite friendly. They do have quite a few activities based around families and not just the Mustangs, imo maybe a little to much? They had 10 to 12 sign-up sheets they were passing around for different activities or events that are coming up, including a barbeque & fireworks show on the 4th of July. I think the swmbo would get a little upset if I took her to a club outing being it's our anniversary that day! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I did sign up for the "How-to Work shop" one of the members will be giving on installing a headliner./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif They are also planning a fun run up to the "Dam Diner" (actual name) for dinner up by Lake Millerton this coming Saturday, so I may get to check out some of the members mustangs then, if I can sneak out of the house for a couple of hours. Hey Pat, if you and Renee don't have any plans it might be fun. Don't know if Machele will be able to make it as she is having to study for her Instructors examine on Monday, I'm still a little undecided as I have a lot to do over the weekend also.

Over all, I give my first time to one of the local Mustang club meetings a 7, since I see some room for improvement, but it was fairly well organized, did I say they were friendly? Anyway, I think I will try out a couple of their "outside" of the meeting activities before I make a decision on whether to join or not.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
whizco
IMO a successful club will have many activities. All members will attend some of the activities and some will be attended by only a few. I like the cruises and the how-to’s. The beauty of many activities there is something for everybody.

I agree forget the 4th. SWMBO would probably not forgive you for a small price.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Wow, a local Mustang club meeting at such an early hour! I'm afraid my 5AM shifts are already getting stretched with the 4:25 waking up .. if I went to meetings I would be starving myself. But seriously, sounds fun .. my parents in their stupid chevy club do that run to the dam diner alot. I used to play paintball right across friant from there. Anyways, sometimes its best to just let things pan themselves out, give it time and maybe another meeting and you should be able to tell if it's for you. Oh and that how-to session is kind of lame considering most headline kits or materials for mustang restoration nowadays ACTUALLY HAVE instructions included usually with pictures. My dad just did one for their club about the benefits of electronic ignition and I'll tell you one thing. Anybody that didn't already know about/have either an expensive MSD box or the Pertronix module was asking him where to buy them. Off to work!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Doug - It sounds alot like the local club I am a member of - very family activity oriented.

Overall, I've found it to be a pretty good source of entertainment as well as an occasional outlet for buying and selling parts. The referals I've gotten for help with my car (most recently an exhaust builder) have been pretty useful, too.

On the negative side, the club always seems to be looking for "volunteers" (more like draftees - LOL) to chair events or serve as an officer. Unfortunately, I am totally tapped out because of old committments - serving on various boards and my job. I hate to always pass on these opportunities, but my life is running at 10/10ths already. I look forward to semi-retirement in a few years so I can devote some time toward stuff like club administration.

I think you should stick with it for a year. I'll bet you find membership pretty rewarding.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey, glad you had a good time...

We've got a dinner date at friends in Exeter Saturday (been tryin' to match up schedules for almost 2 months now on that one *G*) so I'll have to pass. IIRC, back in the old days the Dam Diner had pretty good food...when I was in the cycling club, we'd ride up there for breakfast from Woodward park as a fun run.

Thanks for the report!‡

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
One usually gets out of a car club what they put into it. You won't like everyone but you'll make some new friends. Go to the activities you want and not to all of them. I participate in about four shows a year (even though the club usually conducts or attends about eight per year). I go on almost all the cruises because we like this activity much better than sitting around a show grounds for six hours in the hot sun. I do my share by keeping the clubs electronics, PA amplifier, wires, walkie-talkies, etc. in working order. I also assist others with car electrical problems. They assist me with suspension and brakes, and act as safety observer when I'm doing one of the more dangerous heavy lift jobs. I enjoy the club, my wife enjoys it even tho there is some people bull hockey to contend with sometimes.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Doug,

One of the very best experiences of my Mustanging history was as a member of the Ft. Lauderdale Mustang Club. The folks that involved themselves in the activities of the club were exceptional people. Margie and I were already friends with a few of the folks when we joined in 1994. But we soon learned that the active members were our kind of people. I know that it's rare when a large group of people can click like we did. To this day we try to visit with them when we return to Ft Lauderdale because we consider them family. If you make an effort to get to know those in the club, not expecting them to make the first move, you may find a treasure trove of new friends. I wish I could find another group like them but Flagstaff is short on Mustang afficianados and there is no Mustang club here. I'm probably going to move to Orange County in the next few months and hope to find something like that there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts