Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some research and wondering if all the 65 Shelby's were Los Angeles DSO cars. What months were they in production at the Shelby factory. If not the 71 DSO then what determined what the DSO would be. What would determine the build date if Ford manufactured the car but Shelby did the completion.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Good questions.

I can't say I 'know' the answers but considering the 65 GT350 did not have a Ford door data plate your questions may be irrelevant from a physical car perspective.

SAAC, having all the original documentation would certainly know the answers and I would expect the DSO would be 71. I would also think there are 2 poosible scheduled build dates. One from Ford and one from Shelby (if he bothered).

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What??? no door tag. I would ave thought they would have the tad with the vin # and all the other data. Wimbledon white,black int.,4 speed,3.89 axle and so on. Aren't the cars registered by vin # that manufacturer assigh to them.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
GT350's did not have a Ford VIN publicly shown. The Ford VIN was under the Shelby VIN plate on the driver's apron and was removed, if present from the door. I believe the only early Shelby with a door data plate was #5S003.

The GT350 was registered as a Shelby. Shelby American had an MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) that allowed them to VIN a vehicle.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand that. What about the stamped numbers on the passenger side under the fender. What about the serial # on the K code blocks that were assigned to that car.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
You are right. The GT350 did maintain those VIN's but they are not publicly visible.

The official VIN on an early (pre 68) Shelby is the Shelby VIN and not the Ford VIN.

·
Premium Member
13,184 Posts
I don't understand that. What about the stamped numbers on the passenger side under the fender. What about the serial # on the K code blocks that were assigned to that car.
Shelby American had their own Federal Manufacturers license (number 13 I think). and was so authorized to VIN any vehicle he wanted to "manufacture". The Ford VINS were either covered up by the Shelby VIN tag or covered up by the fenders. As pointed out above. the door tags were removed on practically all Shelby Mustangs.

Many early Shelby Mustangs are titled as being Fords, not Shelbys, but as long as the VIN on the title is the Shelby VIN, there is no problem.

The VIN on the engine has no bearing on the titled VIN.

Z.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That is a good question, and I'm not sure, as the door tags were supposed to be removed on nearly every '65 GT350. But I did see 003 has 842001 listed...does that mean a home office order with additional info regarding the special order (not sure)??? This may be different from the standard production cars, though, as this car was more of a prototype.

http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/images/017big.jpg

Regarding production dates at Shelby American, I recall reading that work on the first Fastback '65 prototypes began in September '64, and the production '65s (that were sold as '65s) were all built from November '64 to July '65. And all '65s were originally built at the San Jose Ford plant and sent directly to Shelby American at the Venice and later LAX facilities, with no exceptions.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The dataplate for 5S003 in the link you provided has a scheduled production date of Oct 26, 1964

I doubt Shelby was rigid enough to plan scheduled dates for his cars as Ford did.

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
wow how did that tag get all scared up like that ? i have seen original door tags on mustangs that look mint and i am talking c codes and 6 cyl cars. my 68 torino door tag looks like it was just made after i cleaned it up.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts