Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that gt's were not available until april of 67 so an in early 67 you could not get a gt. is this right?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
+1 on that. The GT option and the Interior Decor option were first birthday presents for the Mustang to itself, after a successful first year of blow out production.
Dad ordered my GT in March 67. No issues.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me clarrify my statement, I was told the PO read in several books that the 67 mustang was not available as a gt until april of 67, you could get all the gt stuff but the marti would not come back as gt option package.
could this be?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
This is the first I'd heard of that. AFAIK, you could have ordered your 67 as a GT the first day they took orders. I have an original March 1967 Road and Track test of a Mustang GT (289 A code hardtop 4 speed with California emissions), as well as a Camaro and Barracuda. To make the March issue, they would have had the test cars January or so for testing. So their GT had to have been built at the latest in Nov-Dec. 1966. So that kind of disproves the theory of GT's not being available until late in the model year.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
I can assure that they were available in October/November 1966. I won a 67 GT coupe on Ebay. Doing my due diligence, I ordered a Marti report,. Yes, it was a GT, built in early November of 1966.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
let me clarrify my statement, I was told the PO read in several books that the 67 mustang was not available as a gt until april of 67, you could get all the gt stuff but the marti would not come back as gt option package.
could this be?
please do not believe everything you read in those old books. a lot of the info is not accurate period. some of them are so far off they just make for good firestarters.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
The 67 GT was available the whole time. Perhaps the misconception comes from the fact that you could get all the GT items on non-GT cars- HD suspension, 289 4V or 390GT engine, disc brakes, etc.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for confirming what I already knew in my head, i just needed to hear it from others.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
22: What is this? a magizine ad or a special GT version of a dealer brochure? I'd never seen it before.
'Fraid that's all I know, but the style matches Ford magazine ads from the period.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The first GT was available on the one year anniversary - April 17th. My GT has a build date of February 8th 1965 but all the sheet metal is dated the 3rd week of March, which makes sense given all the known timelines. Makes you wonder exactly when Ford decided to put out a GT. I think that answer is lost in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts